Menu

CC, Bible story time for 3 and 5 yo

Ohio12

I have been reading through Egermeiers Bible stories with dds. It is going pretty well, but I am frustrated.

I know dd 3 will not understand everything about the stories, but dd 5 is right at that stage where she is understanding some but not all. For instance, today was Esau selling his birthright to Jacob for the stew. She had to understand a twin being firstborn, birthright, inheritance, a parent loving one child more than the other and trading a future inheritance for food you can eat now. I didn't try to explain it all to her of course and tried to do the whole Charlotte Mason idea of just asking her what she thought of it. But it seems so ridiculous to be reading her this thing that was so far over her head. Any thoughts on this?

I just finished reading through the OT stories from Eigermeier's with my 3yo and 6yo. My 3yo barely listened (as far as I can tell), but my 6yo really liked hearing them, though I'm sure much of it went over her head as well--she almost always asked to hear more at the end of a story. It sounds like having to explain lots is frustrating to you: does it seem to frustrate or bore your daughter as well? If the comprehension gap doesn't bother her, I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing, and assume she's learning to piece things together. If, on the other hand, she's not engaging at all, I'd switch to something else. (Though I'm afraid I don't have any recommendation for you--maybe stories with more pictures?)

I just finished reading through the OT stories from Eigermeier's with my 3yo and 6yo. My 3yo barely listened (as far as I can tell), but my 6yo really liked hearing them, though I'm sure much of it went over her head as well--she almost always asked to hear more at the end of a story. It sounds like having to explain lots is frustrating to you: does it seem to frustrate or bore your daughter as well? If the comprehension gap doesn't bother her, I'd probably just keep doing what you're doing, and assume she's learning to piece things together. If, on the other hand, she's not engaging at all, I'd switch to something else. (Though I'm afraid I don't have any recommendation for you--maybe stories with more pictures?)

Thanks for responding. My daughter does really like it. She doesn't ask any questions, so I have to decide how much to explain. Then the explanations seem to be over her head. I guess I want to know how much I should explain and how much to just read and let her absorb what she can.

A 5yo is still young; much of the understanding will come later. I just read and let them ask questions and/or narrate the story for me. They don't need to understand all of it right now. I still learn new things each time I read the Bible; my understanding increases with my maturity in the faith.

Learning the stories now will let you discuss it in more detail later.