Menu

Advice on building a website

Dh wants me to build him a website for his business. Neither of us have any clue about computers (we own one old laptop and no fancy gadgets at all).

So, can you recommend any places to go for advice/help on getting started for the technologically illiterate? We're both intelligent people, I'm assuming that just because we haven't done this before doesn't mean we can't manage it without a professional?

My husband's a developer, so this is second hand information I've picked up from him over the years. Is it a e-commerce store or just a brochure/information site? I just asked him and he said that if you're starting an e-commerce He would recommend using Magento or Big Commerce. From what he was saying, they're like an assisted DIY commerce solution.

If its just a info store, find a content management solution you like (Wordpress is the only one that comes to mind) and google "Wordpress template" you can spend about $100 on a nice one. But you'd need to learn how wordpress works. You could find some wordpress tutorials online. (Google Wordpress tutorial and you get 2,000,000 results... I think you'll find something helpful) And you need to find someone to host your site. Blue Gator is not expensive.

PM me if you want more information, he is always happy to talk about his knowledge. Zzzz.... :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I switched over to my laptop because it's a pain to write on the iphone. I agree that it's a steep learning curve, but you can do it. My husband learned everything from scratch. He learned design principles and development by hands on projects and reading everything. And he's been doing it for 7 years. You aren't going to learn everything this weekend. Or even in a few weeks. I can be done with a little time.

Edited by KatA

You can build a site on Google Sites fairly painlessly.

In all honesty, though, I don't think someone with no experience in web design should build a business site. I worked as a software engineer for a decade. I would not build a site for someone's business. Sure, I can wing the technical aspects, but not the aesthetic and organizational. It's not my field of expertise.

Thanks ladies, that's helpful. The site will be information based, we're not selling anything. A page on my huband and his training, a page on what he does and a few pictures. I'm hoping it shouldn't be too complicated. I can manage a blog!! I think we will give it a go, and if we fail miserably we can always look into paying a professional. I'm always up for a new learning challenge!