Menu

statement of academic performance?

My elder son receives speech services through the local ps. He has a service plan, not an IEP, because he's home schooled. He's up for re-eval, and his SLP has already told me that she's planning to release him, which I'm fine with.

She just sent me an email asking me for a statement of his academic performance to determine academic impact. I don't remember doing this last year. [The first year he was attending the ps for kindy, so his teacher would have done that.]

I'm just not sure how to answer her. He reads above grade level, writes below and has horrible penmanship. He probably knows more grammar than most of the middle schoolers in the local pss. He's probably on grade level for math, but we're sorta taking a math vacation right now.

I do not believe his speech impedes his academic performance. At the time we first had him evaled, his attempts at spelling was impacted by how he mispronounced words, but not anymore [his spelling still isn't great, but not because of artic issues].

What say you, hive? How much info do I share?

My daughters both receive special services through the school district, so I have had to do this too, but we usually just talk about it during the IEP meeting. Current levels of performance and academic impact are required portions of an IEP so you probably did submit something, it may have just been during the discussion rather than in writing. She may want more thorough documentation this year because they are planning on dismissing him, which is why she is asking for it in writing. If you think there may ever be a need to request services again, you may want to word it carefully, leaving that door open, by using phrases like, "at this time". Otherwise, I would state what you did here about the spelling piece. There is really no need to go into other academic areas, except to say his speech delay has had no impact, unless there was previous documentation that it was somehow affected.

Congrats on his progress!

If the issue is articulation and she has difficulty being understood or speaking clearly then that would impact many academic areas (i.e. oral presentations, oral reading, discussions, etc).

Well, he no longer does, but he DID. I will say, as his mom, I almost always understand him. Even when his father does not. One of his other struggles is slowing down his speech, which is one I struggle with too, so I find I'm able to follow it easier than other people who speak more slowly already.

Ok, fhjMom, thanks for the help with wording. I will work on it today, and try to be open-ended. :)