Menu

How do you break down subjects which overlap?

I thought I had a handle on how I wanted to show the subjects DS has taken this year in 9th grade on the transcript. But I keep changing my mind about the best way to do it. Obviously Math, Latin and Science are neatly compartmentalized...for the most part (he did read Euclid--see below). And I had in mind that "English" would consist of equal parts: Grammar, Vocabulary Study and Writing. But then we did Omnibus/Great Books and it starts to get all messy. Veritas Press says that it counts as 1 credit each of Bible, History and Literature. I am not using it for Bible credit, so that portion has been removed. DS also worked through SWB's History of the Ancient World so that's additional history. And we are incorporating Art Appreciation as we go which will count as a total of 2 credits at the end of the four years of high school (1/2 each semester.)

So my question is, should I keep "9th Grade English" as Grammar, Vocab and Writing and count all of the Great Books reading through Omnibus as "History"? Or do I just call it "Great Books" and include in our description what that entailed? But if I do that, is it separate from History or all inclusive? I've read and re-read SWBs recommendation in WTM and while I'm confident that we will have a very robust transcript, I'm just undecided as to how to label things.

Any help is appreciated! TIA:seeya:

Edited by Suzannah

We do English and history combined. I find it impossible to decide which activities/readings/essays can clearly be assigned to either subject. So I simply count all the hours and divide in half (for example if we get in 300 hours Eng/hist combined I award one full credit for each). I call English "English 9" etc and list details in the course description, and history will be "Ancient History" or "Medieval and Renaissance History".

My son used Sonlight for a few years in high school. I just divided up the books the best I could and listed some of them under his English credit and the rest under history. (We didn't do SL's Bible portion.)

When I wrote the counselor letter, I explained his program a bit more, and I described how his English/History/and religion courses were coordinated. I never got any questions about this. I really think it doesn't matter exactly how you split it all up, just make sure everything is there somewhere.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Thanks, that's comforting at least. I was even thinking of maybe going through and dividing up the Great Books into fiction and nonfiction or fiction and primary sources or something to represent literature and history. Does "English" need to include "Literature"? Or maybe dividing it along the the same lines as Omnibus does.

Suz

Edited by Suzannah