Menu

WWE 1 for small class?

Sara in WA

Have any of you seen WWE materials used in a small classroom? I'm interested in doing this and gleaning from experienced people!

I have used WWE material and loved it. Next year I'll be teaching first grade in a classical Christian school and I am considering using WWE 1 for the writing portion. Of course one of the gems of WWE in homeschooling is that since it's one on one, you get to really see if the child can answer the questions and narrate the material. You can't replicate that exactly in even a small class, but maybe you can still use the method. My class will be pretty small, maybe 6 or 7 kids.

If you have experience or a different idea on this, I'd love to hear from you!

Will you have scheduled times when parents are in to help? If so, then maybe you can have the narration happen during those times. You read the portion to everyone, then you have them split into groups for the narration with various parents. We're just a little ways into WWE, but it does alternate copywork and narration for a while, and I think doing copywork as a whole class wouldn't suffer for a lack of one on one attention. To me, it's no different than teaching handwriting to a group that size.

Right now I'm teaching WWE-1 with my two first graders who are at different levels of both reading comprehension and writing. In some ways, it's been nice to do it in a "group" as the one who is good in comprehension "helps" the one who is a better writer. Sure, I'd like to challenge my daughter to be better at comprehension, but having her brother model how to answer the questions has been a gentle way for me to work with her on it.

The only other thing I can think is to make sure the kids draw a picture for every narration. If all kids start drawing at the same time, then you can try to call them one by one for the narration. The risk of that is, of course, how quickly some kids this age declare themselves "done!" with drawing.

Anyhow, those are just some ideas I have. I'd actually really be interested in hearing from others, as sometimes I feel like I have a miniaturized classroom with how my two kiddos fall.