Menu

LA for child who hates writing

Bree

My ds will be in second grade next year and I am trying to figure out what to do for LA (Grammar/spelling/writing). Some days he can do 3 sentences with no problem and other days it is a struggle to get him to do 1 at all or a few words. He doesn't mind doing AAS with the letter tiles, but that is about all he can do without complaining. Any advice :) Since he is my oldest he is the guinea pig of sorts and I'm not sure exactly what I should be expecting from him even. How much should a second grader be able to do and what program would you suggest, and what should I include? Thanks :)

That sounds like my son at the end of 1st grade. On a really good day, he could copy 3 sentences (not original writing - we're still not there yet). Most days, it was 1-2 sentences, or it might be 3 sentences spread out through the day.

I can happily say that he can copy 6 sentences without complaining now. :D

I used WWE, which it looks like you're already using? Just keep going with it. Also, we did AAS in first grade, and I used the white board. He was able to write more dictation at the white board, and it translated to better stamina and more confidence in his pencil/paper work.

Just be consistent in having him do small amounts throughout the day, not large amounts at one time. One sentence here and there adds up during the day. ;)

We had a breakthrough where writing became physically easier just before DS turned 7, and then we had another one recently (he's about to turn 8). So keep chugging along with WWE and AAS as you're doing. It will come together. If you haven't already, make sure you listen to SWB's lecture on teaching writing in the elementary years.

Oh, and you asked about grammar also. I did FLL3 for part of the year, then started using a combo of KISS Grammar (on the tablet) and R&S English 3. The R&S gives him practice writing, and it's kind of a stealth way to get more copywork out of him. ;) FLL was great also - it had enough writing to get the grammar in his head, but not too much for a writing phobic child. It was just right.

:iagree:

My son, at 6.5 and just starting 1st grade, has to be prompted a lot. We use WWE and FLL and it gets better every day.

To start, in Kindergarten, I made him write his name and date on everything. This itself was a battle, but since he could write these easily, it got easier. I didn't even start WWE until I could get him to write his name and date on everything without (too much) complaining. I'm sure you're past this for your oldest, but it's something I would recommend for your younger ones.

When we started WWE, one thing I did to start is to pace our schedule so different writing things didn't line up on the same day. So if it was a copy work day, I wouldn't have him do a literature or history narration. When we started to progress to where he may have to write *gasp* twice in one day, we only did that once or twice a day. And I'd make sure he knew ahead of time- on Monday I would start talking about how he was going to have to write TWICE on Friday. I would say things like, " Well, there's two writing assignments for Friday, so you'll want to make sure you get this one done today. Because you don't want to have to do three on Friday!"

The funny thing about my son has he has decided he likes spelling tests. So we just do one every day. I don't even make them hard- I think what he likes it that they're easy for him, I just like that he's writing. I have no idea how long it will last, but as long as he asks for them, I'll let him write those ten extra words and numbers.

But, mostly, for us it's about expectations. I print out his schedule every day and we look it over during breakfast. I point out the places he'll have to be writing- and when I make the schedule I am sure to keep an active thing between writing assignments. We've fallen into the habit of reading over breakfast and doing a narration before we even do morning chores. Knocking a writing assignment out before he has time to be tired of me and school has been a great decision. Then the do morning chores, we do calendar time, followed by phonics, which may have writing. After that, we do AAS and FLL, and then we do the WWE. Then it's snack and recess... When we do our history or science block in the afternoon, I have them do a narration, if required that day, then the map, then the craft. If they have the craft to look forward to, he'll usually be pretty good about the writing. One thing I never, ever, ever do is let him procrastinate on his writing or put it at the end of a block. That just doesn't work for us.

From what I hear from my mommy friends, and teachers I know, this is super common between the ages of 6-8 for boys. At least it's nice to know others are out there fighting the same fight. :tongue_smilie: