Menu

Educational Nook Apps?

How old are your kids? Mine are 5 and 2, so my ideas might not be useful. We like Caillou's World, Alphabet Tracer (although a couple of letters are not the way we do them), Shape Builder and Preschool Connect-the-Dots by Murtha Designs. We have tried 2 or 3 of the apps by Intellijoy and do not like them at all. Counting with the Very Hungry Caterpillar is charming to look at, and DS2 enjoys it once in a while, but it doesn't seem to be very useful. We also like the books that are apps, such as Little Critter and Dr. Seuss.

How old are your kids? Mine are 5 and 2, so my ideas might not be useful. We like Caillou's World, Alphabet Tracer (although a couple of letters are not the way we do them), Shape Builder and Preschool Connect-the-Dots by Murtha Designs. We have tried 2 or 3 of the apps by Intellijoy and do not like them at all. Counting with the Very Hungry Caterpillar is charming to look at, and DS2 enjoys it once in a while, but it doesn't seem to be very useful. We also like the books that are apps, such as Little Critter and Dr. Seuss.

My kids are ages 2-12 so some of these would work! I'm new to the Nook so how do I go about finding these apps? Also, how do you know when a book has apps or not?

thanks!

My kids are ages 2-12 so some of these would work! I'm new to the Nook so how do I go about finding these apps? Also, how do you know when a book has apps or not?

thanks!

Well, if you browse the apps by age, for example, you will find the book apps. If you do a search for, say, Little Critter, you will see that the apps are a particular rounded square and stand out from the regular books. Also, it should say in the description.

ETA: sorry. I was cut off by a little person. Anyway, I think you will start to see the difference pretty quickly. We love our nook! Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll do my best to help out. I will try to get back and link some of the free picture books tomorrow if you'd like.

Edited by annlaura

Well, if you browse the apps by age, for example, you will find the book apps. If you do a search for, say, Little Critter, you will see that the apps are a particular rounded square and stand out from the regular books. Also, it should say in the description.

ETA: sorry. I was cut off by a little person. Anyway, I think you will start to see the difference pretty quickly. We love our nook! Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll do my best to help out. I will try to get back and link some of the free picture books tomorrow if you'd like.

Thanks so much for all your help. I really feel like :confused: when it comes to technology!

No problem. Here are a few of the free books:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/elephants-child-rudyard-kipling/1100017413?ean=2940000920596

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/huff-and-puff-tish-rabe/1109723157?ean=9780062111067

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fun-facts-about-pets-seymour-simon/1103400238?ean=2940000920572

There have been some others that are now full price. But every so often they put out a new free book. I've found several early readers for free. And if you check the website, there is a "daily find" every day, one adult and one family/kids. I've found a few great books heavily discounted there.