Menu

Preparing for MFW AHL ??

We are planning to use MFW AHL for 9th grade. My son is headed into 8th grade this year. We started our homeschooling journey with MFW, had several great years with it, and then moved into another direction. One of the main reasons that we didn't stick with MFW through late grammar and early logic years is because I didn't like their LA recommendations. We tried Writing Strands and I truly could NOT do it. It just didn't mesh with my brain at all.

He will be going back to MFW for 8th grade. He'll be using 1850 to Modern Times. Naturally, one of my concerns is having him ready for the writing in MFW AHL for 9th grade. MFW recommends Writing Strands 4 but I can't do it.

He will be continuing with Rod & Staff English, using Spelling Power, and I have intended to use Writing With Skill with him. I don't think WWS will take a full year. I think alot of it will be easy for him, so he will most likely do more than one day's work in a typical day. I also have, and intend to use, Write With the Best with him. We probably won't do all of the units of WWTB but most of them.

Is there anything I need to be sure to cover in 8th grade that will help him out with 9th grade? I haven't seen MFW AHL in person and I don't know if I'll be able to do so until we buy it. Will the writing instruction in AHL help him with style, or is it mostly working on structure? Will it cover both of those aspects of writing?

So far, he is writing strong paragraphs but hasn't written any essays or research papers. He can do a two level outline easily (we'll definately work on outlining this upcoming year), he can write narrations of 5 to 12 sentences, can write summaries of several sentences, can write fables, short stories, personal letters. He has worked on descriptive writing and note-taking this year and has done well with that.

Thanks for reading & thanks for any help. I know Writing Strands would cover alot of helpful things but it just doesn't fit his style (or mine).

Edited by Donna T.

Hi Donna,

So for English it sounds like you already have most things in place, but are just concerned about skipping Writing Strands? I think you can sub that just like you sub the spelling program or whatever.

I actually think that in 8th grade, the writing focus should be tailored to the individual student. So, although I'm a big fan of Writing Strands, I used some MCT materials in 8th grade, because I had a student who liked funny but needed to learn how to be factual. MCT was a perfect fit, because he's fun but expects accuracy :) Now, with my older dd, I had to pretty much focus on the converse, so that's why I'm a big fan of tailoring the writing during that one year.

ETA: The piece that Writing Strands adds isn't just "do some writing," but is more learning how to use skills like tense variety, third person, different perspectives and points of view, plus organization and variety. I'd look at which of those kinds of things are needed by your particular student. Here's a brief overview of WS lessons: http://www.writing-strands.com/curriculum.asp

Will the writing instruction in AHL help him with style, or is it mostly working on structure?

The writing focus in AHL is the argumentative essay, as I'm sure you know. But within that, there is grammar-related instruction that helps with things like avoiding too many subject pronouns. And, there is writing in the history section and in other areas (writing psalms and proverbs) that is more unstructured and varied.

In WHL, there is tons of variety. My son has written a speech, a play, poems, a letter to the editor, and more. Writers Inc gives pretty detailed instructions on what to look for in these, then there is room for the student to put his own voice in there, and finally as teacher I add in things particular to my own child's weaknesses (we ended up doing 2 letters to the editor, one my son's way and one my way LOL).

Does that help?

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

ETA: The piece that Writing Strands adds isn't just "do some writing," but is more learning how to use skills like tense variety, third person, different perspectives and points of view, plus organization and variety. I'd look at which of those kinds of things are needed by your particular student. Here's a brief overview of WS lessons: http://www.writing-strands.com/curriculum.asp

Does that help?

Julie

Thank you Julie! That's what I needed to know and think about. I had read somewhere that as long as the student could write strong paragraphs that he should do fine with the writing in AHL. I just wasn't sure what that meant. I don't want to pull together so many components that we end up doing none of them very well. I think I'll try to compare WS 4 with Writing With Skill and see if WWS works on any of those same skills.

Thank you!

My oldest ds is finishing up AHL and my 2nd ds is completing 8th this year. I much prefer WWS to WS and my 8th grader did WWS this year. WWS teaches similar things to WS 4 but with much more detailed instructions. I believe it is adequate preparation for AHL.

I don't really recommend this, but we jumped into MFW AHL for dd in 9th grade without either one of those programs. We'd done some writing things, but, sad to say, it was a hodge-podge. That made me concerned about how the writing would go in 9th with MFW!

It starts out with a tough assignment, and dd was a little overwhelmed....to the point of tears. However, we supported her through it, she worked hard, and finished it. Then her attitude changed because she then realized she COULD do it, even if it was hard sometimes! She dove into it then, loved it and did very well. She learned so much with MFW, I am so happy we used it! She became a much better writer, and understood the concepts so much better after tha year!

I just share this so you know that it is possible to make it through okay if your child understands the basics, even if it wasn't with WS! (Though I think it's very smart of you to plan ahead.....like I did not do very well at!) :blush: