Menu

9th Grade AP Biology?

Have any of your kids taken AP Biology in 9th grade or earlier? One of our local universities offers online independent study high school courses. My ds (almost 14) wants to take the AP Biology class from them next year. He is independently motivated, and enjoys science, but he hasn't taken any other AP classes yet. I was just wondering how difficult other kids his age have found the test to be. Any insight would be appreciated.

She is in 9th and quite good at math/science. Her suggestions: it is very helpful (almost necessary) to have a great knowledge of chemistry (shd did high school chem, Apologia, in 8th; a high school bio class or a very good middle school bio class is very helpful; be prepared to study a huge amount (she studied about 4 hours a day over the past year; some days she only did bio!); get a good teacher. DD took it through PAHomeschoolers with Dr. Kanner. I cannot say enough good things about her. She is amazing but demands a lot! We will not know the outcome of the course until the results come in on July 1st, but I can honestly say that it was an incredibly difficult course due to the huge amount of straight memorization. If you do decide to go this route, don't skimp on the resources. She used the latest edition of Campbell, I bought Mastering Biology online, along with two study guides. HTH! Good luck to your son.

Jeri

Yes, we've done it with a younger student and it was successful. It is not one of the easier APs though and I'd only do it with a kid who was academically really strong and eager for a challenge. The course is being overhauled though and there will be less memorization. You can read more details about it on the College Board.

I strongly agree with the suggestion that a student have a decent foundation in chemistry first. The beginning of the course can be difficult if they don't.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if we're prepared to dedicate that much time to science next year. We may go with the regular high school biology course. . . So many decisions, but what a blessing to have a place like this to turn for advice.