Menu

Handwriting question

My boys don't have very nice printing. My son came out of ps after gr.1 with awful handwriting and I have tried through HWOT to correct some of his letter formation with moderate success.

Here is my question: I like HWOT which is what I am using with my k'er and 2nd grader. My 2nd grader just finished the last manuscript book (printing power I think it is called). I had planned to move him into HWOT cursive next but I don't really like the look of HWOT cursive - I much prefer Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting Series for cursive. How hard would it be for him to do the GD cusive if we have used HWOT? Or is there anyway to teach him with the HWOT but make it look more slanted/attractive?

Most kids' writing doesn't end up looking like the workbook (either Getty-Dubay OR HWOT!). I would use at least one year of HWOT to teach the method of formation, and then switch to the style you want him to emulate. I started with GD because I didn't like the look of HWT, then later realized it didn't really matter, but the method of formation did.

Just our experience!

Merry :-)