Menu

7th~Help switching from Apologia to...????

We have been using Apologia and are thinking of MAYBE switching to something new. Of those of you who have used Answers in Genesis, which series do you like? Any comparisons to Apologia? Or if you liked a totally different curriculum, can you share what you used and why you liked it? Patrick will be in 7th in the fall. He has done all of the elementary books for Apologia except Anatomy and he has done General Science 2 at the Jr and HS level. He is a very science minded young man and dosn't need science to be entertaining.:)

Thanks!

Kimberly

The elementary Apologia programs are very different from the middle school/high school textbooks... So if your DS has completed Apologia General Science, would you not continue with the Apologia textbooks -- just a year earlier than the average family:

7th grade = Physical Science

8th grade = Biology

9th grade = Chemistry

10th grade = Physics

11th grade = Advanced Biology

12th grade = some other non-Apologia advanced science course

Another option that a number of families with science-minded students have used as their science progression:

8th grade = Conceptual Physics (either by Paul Hewitt, or Kinetic Books)

9th grade = Chemistry (possibly consider Spectrum (Christian), if your DS connected well/learned a lot from Rainbow Science)

10th grade = Biology

11th grade = Advanced Biology

12th grade = advanced other science

Not personally familiar with Answers in Genesis, BUT... it sounds like what you are looking for with an advanced and science-minded student is a rigorous science curriculum; I have not heard anyone on these Boards list Answers in Genesis as "rigorous".

You may want to look into some rigorous HIGH school science programs now to give you a good idea of what to use in the next two years in order to prepare. You may also want to post a thread on the high school board asking what rigorous Middle School Science programs do people recommend to prepare a science-minded student for rigorous high school science.

Also, along with a more rigorous science, you'll want to make sure you are using a rigorous math program, or perhaps start including Art of Problem Solving as a supplement to really hone your DS's problem-solving skills, which go hand-in-hand with the science.

In case it is of help, below is a list of rigorous HIGH school science programs to get you started thinking and planning ahead. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

various sciences:

- Bob Jones University Press (Christian; come with DVDs)

my understanding is that the HIGH school science is rigorous; I can't quite discern from the comments on this Board whether or not the MIDDLE school science is also rigorous or not; grade 7 is Life Science; grade 8 is Space and Earth.

biology:

- Science Shepherd Biology (Christian)

- Biology: Concepts & Connections (Campbell)

- AP Biology (Campbell)

chemistry:

- AP Chemistry (Zumdahl)

- General Chemistry (Chang)

physics:

- Principles of Physics (Kinetic Books)

- Physics (Giancoli)

- AP Physics C (Halliday & Resnick)

- Algebra/Trig Based Physics (Knight) -- College Physics

Edited by Lori D.

Lori,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I will look into these other programs and consider your good idea of posting on the h.s. board. We may still stick with Apologia~still not sure... I think it helps to have ds look at the programs' content himself as I think he knows more than I do what he needs in this area. For example, we were at the Christian Light Education while ordering materials for my kindergartener and he saw and asked that I purchase a Molecular Genetics unit for him because he has not covered this before. I have started looking into these other programs and will share with him.

Again, thank you for your time!

Kimberly

We started with Abeka, but moved on to AIG God's Design because I wanted to move towards something that focused on a single area of science rather than dabbling in a little of all. We later moved to Apologia where we completed 3 of the elementary books.

I thought Abeka and Apologia had far more depth to them than the AIG book. When we were using the AIG books we always supplemented with other books and labs.

For middle school we chose to change science programs again. We are currently using BJU with distance learning and love it. I won't lie my son failed the first test. It has been tough. There is definitely a jump in the work required from Apologia Elementary with notebook to BJU middle, but I believe he is right where he needs to be educationally. He is learning time management and study skills on top of science.

We are Christians, but at times I feel there is a blatant disregard to scientific evidence. (I can't for the life of me think of a specific thing at this time, of course :glare:) This is not often enough that I would discontinue the program, but something to mention. I also like the program because it discusses opposing views in science rather than pretending they do not exist. I feel strongly that weather we believe something or not we should still acknowledge theories.

Just wish I had some actual middle school suggestions to help with, as my list is more "looking ahead" into high school! Sounds like you have a very bright young man there, who already knows where he wants to go with science, so your job may be more about helping him find the best resources for him. Definitely ask around on the high school board, as there are a lot of moms who have already gone through this with their science-minded students and will be very helpful! :)

Also, when you reach the grade 7 and 8 levels and post on this board, you mostly get moms of other grade 7 and 8 students -- not so many of those who have completed grades 7 and 8 and have ideas and advice to share. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.