Menu

WWS with a struggling writer?

Have any of you used WWS with a child who *really* struggles with writing? (dysgraphia and apraxia, so there is a language delay, too- great reader though)

I can't decide whether to do WWE 4 for 5th grade, or go into WWS. It's not like she is going to master WWE 4 and be ready to do WWS independently- probably for a long time! But, I'd like to expose her to grade-level material and writing expectations, even if she needs a lot of help.

Has anyone done this? What changes did you need to make? What help did you give?

My dd has had some language processing issues (and a long-ago history of apraxia and speech delay; motor issues with writing but no dysgrahphia per se). With WWS, I'd have her read the directions/steps backwards for some lessons, so she understood where the lesson was going (she's the type to sit there wondering, what's the point? lol). Note that this wouldn't apply to all lessons, as the instruction in some steps involve discussing the "answers" to the prior step (in which case I'd cover them up).

I think that with you staying very involved, it may be do-able, and your student would learn a lot.

Also, I'd teach typing if you haven't already, specifically for doing WWS.

Edited by wapiti