Menu

How long does Saxon Alg 1/2 take?

Honestly, can anyone's kid do the entire lesson in an hour on a regular basis? It is taking my son 2 hours most days now. I thought it was him and his slow pace. However, today I sat with him and kept his pace for him... "write the problem, what do you do next, etc..." because he tends to wander off in thought. It still took an hour just to do the first 15 problems. My friend is a middle school math teacher and she thought 30 problems a day for the child to work himself was excessive. I'm sure it is making him stronger in math, but it is frustrating us both! I think the variety of problem types contributes to the issue because he has to switch modes after every problem.

Brownie

Some kids are just faster than others. My DD likes to work really fast - sometimes TOO fast and she makes mistakes :P But she didn't have any problem with Saxon Alg 1/2 being done in an hour. But I have heard a lot of other people say that Saxon starts taking longer and longer in the higher levels. If your son's 'natural homework speed' is not really fast, then yeah, I can see how it could take him a long. Sorry I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know it sounds like a normal thing, some kids really do seem to slow down with Saxon in the upper levels.

Thanks. I found some really old posts saying other people are done in an hour too. So I guess the issue is primarily my son :) Saxon just doesn't lend itself well to going at a slower pace. I guess we could do odds one day and evens the next but then we have to slow down to half pace! That's just not a great option. I'm OK with 1.5hrs for math including lesson time but 2hrs is getting to be a bit much.