Menu

question about K12 science and history

justLisa

For history: I see they follow the 4 year cycle, however DS is working at 4th grade level next year, but I don't want to stick him at the 2nd grade history. I'm assuming the work load is grade appropriate? So if I placed him in the 4th grade, he would miss those other 2 years. DD would start in 1st grade ancients and would follow the cycle. I really think they will get much more out of history learning it at their own level, and each "owning" their own.

And for science: Do you like it? I viewed a sample from the 5th grade and that looks about right, but the 4th grade had some cut out kinda coloring stuff that DS would loathe LOL.

I just need a complete year of science. They are absolute polar opposites when it comes to interests and learning style, so trying to do anything together just creates a mess.

We used k12 history 4, science 4 and science 1 this year. We dropped history 4 and science 1 at the semester for various reasons but have continued with science 4 to the end.

In science 4 we have done a lot of interesting hands-on experiments and worksheets that get the kids thinking. Our favorite unit was on electricity, we built a circuit and a electric magnet. We just finished the geology unit and made a seismograph. I don't remember doing much coloring or crafty stuff, mostly excellent experiments (that worked!) and reading online.

Every lesson has an assessment and that gets a little old. I found this to be stressful with my first grader which is why we dropped science 1. For a motivated first grader it would probably be fine. The topics, experiements and projects were fun.

After doing SOTW for 3 years, K12 history 4 seemed dry. We didn't enjoy reading the lesson on the computer and the activities were just ok - nothing hands-on or litwerature based. I don't think you would have trouble starting in the middle of the history cycle though. It wouldn't be a big deal.

The other pro of K12 is they send you most of the materials.