Menu

Sonlight core D and E or BP yrs 3 and 4

ByGrace3

Finalizing decisions for next year and it hinges on which of these for the following years. Would love to hear thoughts/opinions/insight! Why did you or would you choose one or the other, or if you blended thm which do you use as the spine and why?

This would be for third and then fourth grade. Thanks!

I don't know anything about BP but we are using SL Core D this year (5th and 3rd grade) and it's been great. I love having everything laid out for me, even if I don't follow the schedule exactly;).

I was afraid it would be too much for my 3rd grader, but I got him the "regular" readers and my 5th grader is doing the "advanced" readers and the read-alouds have been right on level for both of them, for the most part. We are using the science too and have had a lot of fun with it, the kids love the TOPS kits (though for me sometimes they get to be a bit much).

I've been really happy with SL, and we'll be doing Core E next year.

Having finished with Sonlight Cores B and C, I'm going with Biblioplan for the next couple of years. I've got younger kids coming up, and I really don't want to try to coordinate Sonlight cores for them. Plus, I love how Biblioplan gives you choices on spines, so that, when we circle back around, my oldest won't have heard all the reading already.

(Although we really did love CHOW!)

Having finished with Sonlight Cores B and C, I'm going with Biblioplan for the next couple of years. I've got younger kids coming up, and I really don't want to try to coordinate Sonlight cores for them. Plus, I love how Biblioplan gives you choices on spines, so that, when we circle back around, my oldest won't have heard all the reading already.

(Although we really did love CHOW!)

Thanks, I am pretty sure when I have multiples to combine in the next cycle I will use BP. However, for this cycle ds is K-2 so he should be easy enough to tag on to anything. So I need to decide for this cycle only, knowing I will probably use BP next time around with MOH.

I'm using Core D with Advanced Readers for my rising 3rd grader (we started early ;) ). We're only on week 4 right now due to various chaos in our lives recently, but I intended to stretch out Core D anyway. :D I think D and E would be a great choice for your DD for 3rd and 4th grades. I can't compare it to the same years of BP though.

I've read ahead some of the books in Core D, and I have liked everything we were reading.

I'll also be using P4/5 for my middle child (with youngest listening in), and I don't think it will be at all difficult to do these two separate cores. Neither one takes a lot of time. Core D is just right in the amount of reading required, I think.

We've used SL from P4/5 through C and will use D in the fall for my 5th & 3rd graders. We love the historical fiction that SL uses, and although I haven't looked specifically at Biblioplan, most of the other literature based curricula seem to use more nonfiction than historical fiction.

With that said, if we ever feel like SL isn't working for us, Biblioplan is on my short list of programs I'd look to use in its place. I would recommend you go with whichever program you feel most comfortable using and think will fit your family.