Menu

American School

I've been considering American School and reading up as much as I can.

I would love to hear from those who have used it, experiences, pros and cons, etc.

Yes, I realize that it's rather basic and possibly dull. If we were to use this approach, we would likely use other stuff also - Khan Academy, WTM suggestions, etc.

I just can't come up with other options and really am tired of having to sort of reinvent the wheel and do all the lesson planning every single year.

Thank you. :)

Ds is current using AS, along with other (see sig.) So far, we are very pleased with the materials and feedback. In fact, they have given the most detailed feedback of all the schools we're using.

It is an excellent way to get a few accredited HS credits, or to obtain a diploma efficiently while supplementing based on the student's own interests.

Also, since they are accredited by one of the major regional associations, their credits should be honored if your dc chooses to switch to another accredited program, so there's really nothing to lose, and it's cheap!

There were a few threads about American School on this board last year around August or so. They were all really helpful. It is one of my options for dd also. They will be at convention next month, so I will be stopping by their booth.

Thank you. Yes, I heard about it from threads here.

I would really appreciate it if you could please share what you think after the convention. :)

I plan on having my son do American School or Keystone for high school.

Thanks so much for all these links and suggestions. Off to start researching. :D

Ds is current using AS, along with other (see sig.) So far, we are very pleased with the materials and feedback. In fact, they have given the most detailed feedback of all the schools we're using.

It is an excellent way to get a few accredited HS credits, or to obtain a diploma efficiently while supplementing based on the student's own interests.

Also, since they are accredited by one of the major regional associations, their credits should be honored if your dc chooses to switch to another accredited program, so there's really nothing to lose, and it's cheap!

Thank you so much for sharing. This is all very good to know.

One of my sils graduated from American School. She's not American, she was living in Saudi and didn't want to continue her highschool at schools there so decided to finish her last two years with them.

I will admit at first I was dubious. Dh and I were in Chicago then, so I was able to go and visit their offices in person. I felt much better after sitting and talking with the people there. It is, imo, a basic education without a lot of frills/extras. I was surprised that they didn't have anything school-wise on the internet (other than their website), I was told then that that enabled them to keep costs down; it's been a number of years, so maybe that has changed.

My sil finished her studies completely on her own (no guidance or help from her mom or dad), and early. I think you could do a lot more if as a parent you were still involved and made it a broader experience, kwim? But she got it done and got her diploma. She went on and completed her Bachelor's degree online, and later traveled to London and attended a university to complete a Master's degree. So she didn't have trouble using her diploma from American School to achieve higher things in education, kwim?

hth!

My sil finished her studies completely on her own (no guidance or help from her mom or dad), and early. I think you could do a lot more if as a parent you were still involved and made it a broader experience, kwim? But she got it done and got her diploma. She went on and completed her Bachelor's degree online, and later traveled to London and attended a university to complete a Master's degree. So she didn't have trouble using her diploma from American School to achieve higher things in education

Kate, this is very helpful and encouraging. Thank you so much. :)