Menu

MFW Users...Does anyone use Adv and the 4 year cycle?

beccad777

I am looking ahead and wondering about when my third child will be in 2nd. My older 2 will be using RtR and I wondered if he would benefit from doing Adv instead of joining the 4/5 year cycle in 2nd. He will have had no previous American history, so it seems odd to jump right into RtR without him having studied America. He also is not one to love school work, more like fights it tooth and nail :tongue_smilie:, so I wondered if the regular cycle might be too much for him in second grade.

I would be teaching only the 2 programs at that time, so it doesn't seem like it would be too much work. After 2nd then we would be on Exp-1850 and that would give him 2 years of American History which I kind of like. What do you all think?

I can't help you with what it's like to use both at the same time, but I do have experience with three children and MFW. If you still feel like trying it at the time it comes around (is it two years from now?) go for it.

I think it depends on how much teaching time you are putting into all your subjects for all your schooling children. For me, it would be difficult. My youngest will be in second next year and I plan for her to just join in on RtR. You might look at adding in some of the "real" books from Adventures without doing the full study. We did enjoy our year with Adventures, though (did it with 3rd and 1st).

My ds is going to be jumping in for rtr. It's my understanding that exp-1850 covers us history amd uses similar resources with the 2nd-3rd grade supplement. So my oldest will do adventures and the others will jump in where we are. Just sems simpler to me but I don't see a problem doing 2 if you havee the time.

I haven't done Adventures, so I don't have any real advice, but a couple things for you to think about:

Ex1850 has a 2nd/3rd grade supplement that includes many of the books from Adventures - so it would be 2 years of American history, but I think much of it would be repeated - I don't know if you or your son would want to do the same history 2 years in a row.

Also, it would actually be 3 years of American history, because the following year is 1850-Modern Times, which also has a lot of American history included (and finishes the state study, etc. from Ex1850).

My son is going to be in 2nd next year, and I am going to have him jump in to RtR. He still gets a little American history through library books, holidays, field trips, etc. (Yesterday, we took a family field trip to Appomattox Courthouse Nat'l Park and now he's interested in learning everything he can about the Civil War.)

Also - I'm not sure how much time is involved in Adventures - 2-3 hours? I think for me, it would just be too much to do on top of RtR, when we only have so many hours in the day, kwim? Ymmv, of course. :)

Just a couple thoughts I had - all that being said, if you still want to do that when the time comes, go for it. If it's still a couple years away, I wouldn't stress over it too much right now.

I do RtR with all.

First, many classical homeschoolers don't study American history until 4th-6th grade, because if they start Ancients in 1st and go through the 4 year cycle, while America is a topic in the 4th year, full in-depth American history would be done the next year. So it's not odd for him to go to RtR not having covered American history first.

Then even though you won't be studying American history in full, as an American, he'd probably pick up the basics just from life, ie Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc.

Agreed with what others have said, that Adv and the Exp-1850 cover similiar topics, and he'd be using the younger supplement so using the same books so it would be like doing the same thing two years in a row.

You can always get books in the RtR era at his level, to bring some topics down for him.

Make life easy for yourself and keep them all together.