Menu

AAS - See if it looks right strategy

Do I just skip this part with a dyslexic? In spelling today, ds was supposed to hear a word dictated, and determine if the /a/ sound was a, a-e, ai, or ay spelling. Now there is a rule for ay, so he could eliminate that one, but for most words with /a/ in the middle, he cannot tell if it "looks" right.

For example, he writes out:

graip

grape

and then picks the wrong spelling as looking right because he has no idea. This is a kid who will likely always be writing assisted with predictive spelling, so I'm not sure if this technique is helpful or not for dyslexics. Thoughts?

I'm combining Barton with AAS for my dyslexic. Barton teaches the student how to use a spell-checker for any confusing words. I think it is better to always use a spell-checker or ask for help if you don't know the word - in other words, recognizing that you are not sure how to spell a word is a huge first step in learning how to spell it since you are not practicing a wrong spelling. Also, lots and lots of repitition of difficult words so that they will become more automatic.