Menu

Salvete Latin by Phinney - what grade level is this for?

Bk 1 and the teacher's manual is OOP but bk 2 is still available at Cambridge Press. I was able to get the whole set including the teacher's manual and I'm just wondering if any of you wonderful ladies ever used this set. If so, what grade level is this for? It's a level down the Cambridge North AMerican series so I'm thinking grades 4 to 5?

Thanks so much.

Lyn

Bk 1 and the teacher's manual is OOP but bk 2 is still available at Cambridge Press. I was able to get the whole set including the teacher's manual and I'm just wondering if any of you wonderful ladies ever used this set. If so, what grade level is this for? It's a level down the Cambridge North AMerican series so I'm thinking grades 4 to 5?

Thanks so much.

Lyn

It is an American prelude to the Cambridge Latin Course. Unfortunately, the author passed away and I don't think that it has been updated. As a prelude to the Cambridge Latin Course, it would be comparable to Minimus and useful at the upper elementary level (grades 4-6). Minimus has a greater following and you'll find more online support. Minimus has a British author and was originally written to introduce Latin in English schools and has built up a large following in the States. Salvete is still good, but it really hasn't been developed as much as Minimus. Hope this helps.

I googled Salvete and there was/is actually a school that used/uses both books 1 and 2 for gr 5 and then uses Wheelock's for grades 6-8. Wow! Possible under the guidance of an experienced, dedicated and strict Latin teacher, I suppose.

Latinteach, my girls used Prima Latina/Minimus and then to Lively Latin. I decided not to use Secundus (TM is so expensive). Do you think they can handle Salvete Bks 1 and 2 after Lively Latin Book 1? Right now, we are all reading Lingua Latina (albeit very slowly) but I can see my younger girls stalling and hitting a wall around chapter 4 or 5. Maybe, the next step if that happens would be to switch to Salvete for reading practice, and then, just go back to Oerberg's when they have more knowledge and practice under their belt?

Thanks so much for being helpful.:))

Latinteach, my girls used Prima Latina/Minimus and then to Lively Latin. I decided not to use Secundus (TM is so expensive). Do you think they can handle Salvete Bks 1 and 2 after Lively Latin Book 1? Right now, we are all reading Lingua Latina (albeit very slowly) but I can see my younger girls stalling and hitting a wall around chapter 4 or 5. Maybe, the next step if that happens would be to switch to Salvete for reading practice, and then, just go back to Oerberg's when they have more knowledge and practice under their belt?

Thanks so much for being helpful.:))

You might want to consider the Cambridge Latin Course, if Minimus worked well for you. Salvete isn't really a progression from Minimus. It really is a

parallel and might even be too easy. Cambridge Latin Course is the next step after Minimus. You don't have to go through Minimus 2 if you don't

want to -- though a lot of people do use Minimus and Secundus without the teacher's manual. (Resale value on the teacher's manual is very good, though, so worth considering.)

OR if you want to stick with Oerberg's Latina Lingua, then Plaid Dad has some good advice. He recommends working through a few chapters of a good grammar based textbook and then adding Latina Lingua. The one he recommends is good, Henle Latin. There are some others. John Traupman's book Latina Lingua (same title, entirely different book, Amsco Publications) is an excellent grammar-based book.

If you stay with Oerberg's Latina Lingua, get Jeanne Marie Neumann's College Companion to Lingua Latina. It's a huge help!

Not sure if this was helpful. There are just a lot of really good Latin curricula, so the challenge is finding the right combination.

Thanks for telling me this. I decided to continue with what we are doing in Latin. I noticed in my homeschooling (going 8 years) that the most productive learning years my children had was when I was just consistent daily (teaching and correcting) with their schooling with the same material. It doesn't even matter what curriculum I used.

Thank you.

I agree with LatinTeach. Using Salvete after Minimus and Lively Latin would not make sense. I have Salvete 1 and 2, and I really don't care for it as much as Minimus at all.

For kids who've done Lively Latin, I would suggest you consider Latin Prep from Galore Park. I used it this past year with my middle grades Latin class (some new students and some students who had been with me for 1-2 years of elementary Latin (using Minimus and Secundus or Prima Latina and LC). I think it has a really fabulous balance of grammar instruction and reading. It's my favorite of all the curriculum I've used or previewed for this age-range -- 5th-8th grade, or younger with some previous Latin introduction.

I found Salvete to be haphazard at best. Not "fun" enough to be genuinely fun, but not enough information for kids to feel like they were making real progress.

First of all, so sorry to put this post in the high school. Salvete being out of print and all, I thought I had a greater chance of getting a response from you ladies here.

It's good to hear from you, Abbey. In fact, you were instrumental in getting me on the Latin and math track. I followed your rec on Prima and Minimus, and your Horizons/Singapore, which by the way is the best advice I've followed. My girls are coasting wonderfully on this math combo and we are chuggling along with our Latin.

I have the Latin Prep 1 which I wanted very much to do with my kids but my older ds is already on board with Henle and Oerberg's LL, but I still can do it with my younger girls.

Thanks so much. I missed reading your posts on the K-8 board.