Menu

Summer School/Single Credit

We have homeschooled year round, but I am pondering some sort of more clearly defined school year (36 week), with summer school. What I have in mind is something to knock out one credit over 8 weeks.

If counting credits on a time basis, it would be 3.5 hours a day/8 weeks = 140 hours. This would be for either an economics class or a government/civics class. Time otherwise during this 8 week stretch would be in the theatre/dance/music for intensives for local programs only offered in the summer.

Anyone tried something like this? Upsides/Downsides? BTDT type thoughts?

My dc have completed courses during the summer, and it worked well. I suppose the downside is not having a long summer break from school work, but my dc chose to complete the courses then, so that didn't bother them. They still had time for other activities. The benefit was completing the course, allowing more time during the school year for other activities or opening up time during the school year for a different course. It was never questioned on their transcripts. I would only do it if my child wanted to, though. I wouldn't force it.

My kids do that with health between their 8th and 9th grade years, but health is only a 1/2 credit class, so that experience may not be helpful to you. I do have one other experience, when my oldest took a government class at the community college over the summer. It was the only credit already given for her senior year when I sent her transcripts to the colleges at which she was applying. It was never questioned.

I say go for it if you have the time and the kids don't threaten to rebel. :)

Cathy

This would be done with a textbook. Actually the text is Government in America AP Edition, Edwards. She would also be reading and watching some some discussions about DeToqueville, The Federalist's Papers (and responses). The course was actually planned for the full year, then we realized she would have this eight week block stuck in town for the theatre/dance stuff but a block of time each day. She likes the idea of doing it and then using the time in the year to prep for the AP exam.

I often took classes in the summer sessions in college. They were some of my favorites, because it was intense/focused for a short time. Just didn't know how that might translate high school wise...so figured I would tap the experience here.