Menu

Can someone compare Sonlight Science to Exploration Education?...

Mindy

It has been awhile since I used SL Science, but I did use it for Grades 2 and 3. I also incorporated some of their Grade 5 Science materials in when we studied the human body in grade 4. We used Exploration Education last fall.

These are just my rambling thoughts. Also, I am not sure for what ages you are considering these.

The biggest issue that I have always had with SL Science is that the years we have used have always seemed disjointed to me. The material has been okay, but it has sort of been all over the place, IMO. The experiments never seem to go along with what one is reading about. Also, I am just not a huge fan of Usborne books. I don't care for the choppy, all over the place text, but that is just a personal preference. That said, it was easy to implement - very open and go especially is you purchase a kit. AND, my son very much enjoyed the TOPS experiments that we did with SL.

I had really high hopes for EE, but it just wasn't as wonderful as I wanted it to be. There is no text...all the reading is done on the computer. Just wanted to throw that out in case you didn't know that. I felt like the reading was awfully bare bones, too. There was not much detail to flesh out the topics. My son very much enjoyed the independent nature of it and he liked having all the experiments to go along with it. I had to help him with the glue gun quite a bit, but again, it would depend on the ages of your children. Keeping the log was nice, as well. I had thought the course would last all year, but it did not. We finished the entire thing in a semester. My biggest disappointment, however, was the lack of retention. I just don't think things "stuck" at all. I will say, that it was "fun" for him. Also, the customer service at EE is outstanding. My ds accidentally broke a small magnet when he dropped it on our tile floor. They sent out another one immediately at no cost too us.

So, those are my thoughts. We went to Bob Jones textbook approach after completing EE.

HTH. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Cynthia,

Thank you so much for your response. I already have the SL Science for Core 4 which covers a great deal of Physical Science, elec/magnetism, light/sound, which are also covered in EE. Do you remember what the study of elec/mag & sound/light covered in EE? What were the experiments like? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!...Mindy

Now you are checking MY retention! :lol::lol:

Well, you study circuits and build a pulsing light generator. You also build some kind of motor? Sounds elaborate, but it wasn't. Topics in that section were:

static electricity

opposites attract

current electriciy

voltage and safety

series and parallel circuits

conductors and insulators

resistors

switches

fuses

sources of electricity

north and south poles

magnetic fields

compass

electromagnetism

generators/electric motors

uses of motors

uses of magnets

(no, my retention isn't that good...I looked in the TOC ;))

I am betting that the TOPS stuff would be fine. Especially if you already have it. I was really keen on EE b/c it had the whole "everything-in-one-box" concept.

Electricity and Magnetism is one section of four in EE. (it is section 2, actually).

Section 1 is Forces, Machines, Motion, and Energy

Section 3 is Changes in Matter (very light coverage of chemistry here)

Section 4 is Sound and Light.

I liked the ongoing nature of the TOPS kits we did, but it was growing stuff so I am not sure if the ones that you have are like that or are more compartmentalized by topic.

HTH!

OOPS! forgot! Topics for Sound and Light were:

What causes sound

energy and sound

how sound waves travel

sound mediums

speed of sound

(build the uno-guitar)

loud and soft

echoes and absorption

pitch

tone

musical instruments

electrical signals

what is light

light sources

how light travels

(build the solar fan)

scattering light

shadows and sundials

objects and light

reflection

bending light

colors

types of light

other uses of light

I am here every day and always have an opinion with no qualms about sharing it.

Yes, my ds did enjoy it, but as I wrote before, I don't think his retention of the material was that good. They do have some extra activities for junior high level. For a 12-year old you would definitely want to do those. Although, I still didn't find it to be meaty enough, and it did only take one semester.

I enjoyed the simplicity of having everything all together. I do wish there had been an actual textbook.

Honestly, I think a 12-year old would need more. I am sure you could beef it up a bit, but, for the cost of it, I wouldn't want to do anything.

We haven't used this, but have you looked at Rainbow Science?

I will be off the boards from noon tomorrow until Sunday. But, please ask me or anyone else anything, anytime. This is a great forum, and I know there are others who have used EE.