Menu

Anyone have a child that is flat foot

When I was a kid, my dad noticed my feet were flat. He got two large dictionaries and stacked them. He had me stand on them with the balls of my feet and lower myself so my heels were nearing the floor and then raise myself all the way up so I was standing on the balls of my feet (let me know if I didn't explain this exercise well enough).

Not only did it build great arches in my feet, but it also built calf muscles. I had my older son do the same and now he has great arches. My younger son is still completely flat-footed, but I plan to have him do the exercises too.

Incidentally, my mom has flat feet and the insoles hurt her feet.

they looked strange. She has a knot on the inside of her feet...which is a bone. I pulled some pictures up on the internet and it showed what a flat foot looks like that. http://www.zfootdoc.com/flat_feet.htm You can see the bone near the heel of the foot..this is what dd's feet look like.

I will definitely go get her some insoles..but she HATES wearing shoes and the ones she wants to wear are high heels...LOVES THEM!

Also, her feet sweat horribly!

Should I get her a special type of shoe or a certain brand that is better for her feet? ...any suggestions???

I am flat-footed, and my son inherited this condition. I didn't know there was a surgery for it! I would never consider it, though.

I've tried many types of inserts and they all hurt. My son hasn't noticed any pain or problems from his flat feet. I feel self-conscious about it sometimes. I feel like I walk and stand funny...knock-kneed.

My son had some insoles from the clinic for several years, after seeing a foot doctor. Last summer I took him in again to see about insoles, since he would be hiking/walking a ton for 3 weeks straight. The doctor said since his bones were fully developed, and his feet done growing, that insoles would only cause him pain. He said if ds had been seriously working out in any sport (like school team stuff), that he'd have been in pain by now and would have needed surgery. He advised NO insoles, but said to just find comfortable athletic shoes with a touch of an arch. He also said neither the most expensive shoes nor the cheapest would be best.