Menu

Chemistry with Biology

Dd who will be in 5th will be doing Shepherd Science Life Science next year. The last year or so I have been reading about and loving the idea of integrating science. A thread was just resurrected on the K-8 board and I read a post in there that talked about integrating in 5th grade. Makes sense. So- what should I integrate for my 5th grader? If she is doing Biology then chemistry would make logical sense to me. My question: In 3rd grade she did Christian Kids Explore Chemistry and I am wondering if I should have her go through that book again but pulling more living books into it? Or I have a friend whose children are all over and has completed the Gods Design for Science sets and is lending those out to families. It is the first edition though. What would you do along with SS? SS would be her main science and the chemistry would probably be done 1-2days a week. Thoughts?

Another question-- After looking at Christian Kid Explore Chemistry again I see that not all the topics covered would be extremely beneficial for biology. What Chemistry topics should I cover? I am sure there is more than what is in the book we have. I think probably Property of Atoms and Molecules from Gods Design for Chemistry? Would this be enough? Would other topics be beneficial? Maybe some of the topics in Properties of Matter? Does anybody know of a book that would fit well with the Chemistry needed for Biology?