Menu

For those of you that use a planner w/multiple children....

Hello ladies,

I wanted to know how others track daily work for multiple children if you use a planner? I will HS'ing 3 this coming year and am not sure how to go about it. Before it was just one so it was easy.

I was checking http://www.homeschoolstudentplanner.com/ and she suggests giving a planner to the child that way both the teacher/student can keep track. So I'm undecided should I keep 3 separate planners, give one to each of them or try and put all the info in one planner?

Oh there ages are 9, 7 and 6 The older two may be able to handle a planner while I could keep one for the 6 year old.

Suggestions?

Michelle

Well, I like to have a separate planner for each child (I only have two at this point to keep track of). My planner is like a planner/diary, so I write out the plans and then add to it as we go through the week, adding books read and other comments. We are registered with an umbrella school, so when I need to sit down and fill out our report forms it is incredibly easy.

I also like having a paper version (as opposed to a computer program), that is just my personal preference.

hth!

I make one schedule up that has all the kids on it so I can see at a glance what everyone should be doing. Then using that, I make each kid their own more detailed, so they can follow along on that. This year I wrote out their daily schedule and then each child also has a check list so I can keep track easily to see that daily work was completed.

We use Homeschool Tracker, which I love!!!

It allows me to keep track of my three, give them their assignment sheets (which keeps them involved) and also (not the least;)!) to reschedule easily.

I simply don't know how I could be homeschooling without that program. It is my sanity saver. Not more...not less:D.

I looked at the Homeschool Tracker and while I really prefer their calendar feature over all the others that I have looked at, I like the daily lesson plans in Homeschool Easy Records better and truthfully, use the daily lesson plans more than I would the calendar.

I think that both have a free version and/or a trial version if you want to try them here are their links:

Homeschool Tracker:

http://www.homeschooltracker.com/

Homeschool Easy Records (HER):

http://www.dataplus.biz/HER/

What I do is print 2 copies of each child's lesson plans for one week. One copy goes in their respective "lesson" folders and one copy goes in Mom's Lesson Planner. I record their grades (if one is given) on my copy. This allows them to see what they need to do for the week and work at their own pace. This year, my oldest (13) will be helping me to create her lesson plans. My goal is to have her creating her own lesson plans (with my supervision) by 10th grade (2 years from now).

As a previous poster said, this has made a tremendous difference in how we school. It has really made my life easier. For instance, yesterday, I made a list of the courses that I needed to create lesson plans for. I then went into the Lesson Plan Manager of HER and clicked on the "import/export lesson plans" and download complete lesson plans for Latin, Logic, Algebra I, and English 5 in about 20 minutes (I first looked them over to be sure they were detailed enough for me and to verify that the same edition as our books were used). When I have created the ones that I need to create, then I will export them for others to use. I can't remember if Homeschool Tracker also has this feature...it's been over a year since I was looking for a software to use.

I tried using Excel and handwriting lesson plans and that did not work well for us.

Hope this information helps you!!

Thanks to those of you who responded. I'm planning on making two student planners for the older ones and one for myself where I will also put down what my first grader is doing.

I made a sort of spreadsheet for my girls and plan on making enough copies for the year and binding it together with some other cool forms I got from the masterplanner CD. Someone mentioned how they were addicted to spiral binding the other day I think...well, I'm addicted to comb binding things :blush:

so making these planners should be fun...lol

Thanks again for the input.

nycmom

Michelle