Menu

Mechanics, automotive engineers, anyone?

Why do my spark plus wires keep popping off?!

They are 14 months old, not the best quality, but not a new problem.

I have an older toyota camry. The spark plus are recessed in the engine quite a bit and the boot on the bottom of the plug wire makes it impossible to see anything. The wire is absolutely making a connection and it is clicking into place.

When i checked the wires two days ago, three of them had popped up, but some connection was being made because there is no way it was running on one cylinder.

Anyone have any ideas? Please?

I do not have my talented back yard mechnics here and my poor car is suffering because of it. :(

My mechanic hubby says:

"Sounds like either

A) she has the wrong plug wires

B) the plug wires are not seated correctly

C) the spark plugs are not tightened down correctly & when they fire the pressure is blowing the plug wires out of the sealed port"

My first thought was A. There are some cars and some parts that I would just always go with original parts for, because some of the differences aren't just make/model/year, but get down to VIN, as well, and aftermarket parts books don't necessarily reflect that. Ask me how I know. :D

But C is definitely the easiest to rule out. I'd start there. :)

Thank you both. I will tighten the plugs tomorrow since thats a good possibility. Im always afraid of overtightening, especially with plugs because if i break one, im out of a car!

The wires are aftermarket, but i had the store recheck and they are coming as compatible for my car.

I can mostly rule out B because i know that the wires are clicking into place and are sitting they way theyre supposed to.

Thanks again!