Menu

GA's graduation rates

There is an article in the newspaper about a new formula (it's a federal formula I believe) being used to calculate the Georgia high school graduation rate. It tracks the percentage of students who graduate in 4 years. That rate is 67.4%. Wow. Under the old formula, which had a rate of 80%, schools were able to count all students who graduated even if it took them 5 or 6 years to gradate. I don't know if that means that kids are physically staying in school for more than 4 years, or that they aren't passing the graduation test as seniors and have to come back to take it again and again until they pass so they can earn the diploma instead of a certificate of attendance.

The new formula is also focused on dropouts. Somehow the schools are supposed to verify that a student who leaves one school gets enrolled into another one. Otherwise they are counted as a dropout. I guess my dd19 is considered a dropout because she left high school just before her junior year.

Good grief.