Menu

Love Singapore.....but having trouble....ideas, please??

diaperjoys

We're doing a "Singapore test run" during the tail end of our school year, and I really, really like the program. But, I'm having some problems with it and I'm hoping for some suggestions:

The Good:

- Singapore is colorful & visually engaging. This is a plus for my visual kiddos.

- Text is NOT written to the student, so I am forced to sit down with the child and explain things, which is a good thing.

- Conceptual, not 'formulaic', which is a plus

The Problem Spots:

- Juggling all the different books, figuring out what actually needs to be done in a day.

- I wasn't taught this way, (my own education was formulaic all the way) so it is difficult for me to "get it", so I can teach it to my kids. For example, switching numbers around to do mental subtraction is brilliant, but brand new to me.

Is there such a thing as Singapore with a little clearer layout for the teacher?? Or any other suggestions?

Edited by diaperjoys

I have been posting recently about Math in Focus, which is Singapore adapted by Houghton Mifflin, the company that owns Saxon. It is pretty much the same Singapore program, but the teacher's manual is much more in depth and step by step. I think I will be buying it this week.

http://www.hmheducation.com/singaporemath/

this is the recent thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368157&highlight=math+in+focus

Singapore organization in a nutshell:

Pick one section in the textbook (say, chapter 3.2)

Read it beforehand. It sounds as if you are a little lost; you might benefit from the Home Instructor's Guide. This book will give you ideas for games and using manipulatives. Read the thought bubbles and side bars in the textbook. They will teach you how to do the Singapore math. For just one section, this should only take a few minutes.

Do that section with your kiddo.

In the textbook, it will tell you which workbook pages to do for that section.

Do those workbook pages (student independently) same day as textbook instruction if you have time.

If your student needs more time for stuff to sink in, move More slowly. Every time you see a workbook icon in the text, stop there for the day after the workbook indicated has been done. That is probably the recommended pace anyway!

Optional books: we use the IP book only: I schedule these after the chapter has been completed (sometimes a week or so later, sometimes instead of workbook if workbook is too easy/boring). Topic# = Chapter #, unless you are using standards edition, in which case just match up topics by title. CWP probably works the same way if you use it. Do not feel obligated to use every book or do every problem.

Are you using the HIG? This tells you exactly what to do. If provides games or other activities with manipulatives to help get the concept across. It also has mental math pages and tells you what order to do everything. Oh, and it has the answers too. We usually do one exercise in the workbook a day. Some days there's more teaching, some days less.

We've tried many math programs, and I haven't found anything else in the same ballpark as Singapore. We use the HIG with the textbook (for instruction), then I send my kids off with their independent workbook exercise. And we throw in IP occasionally when we need a change of pace.

I have been posting recently about Math in Focus, which is Singapore adapted by Houghton Mifflin, the company that owns Saxon. It is pretty much the same Singapore program, but the teacher's manual is much more in depth and step by step. I think I will be buying it this week.

http://www.hmheducation.com/singaporemath/

this is the recent thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368157&highlight=math+in+focus

That looks very tempting!

We've been using Singapore for three years and love it, but, I agree--it is strangely vague about how to use the IP and CWP! We only use the IP, not the CWP, and only when I think the children need a little extra work on a concept. Then, when I think they do need extra work, I find the pages that match up with the concept and assign them as extra work for the day OR just do IP for a day or two (or three!) after the workbook assignment. I don't worry (anymore!) whether we do every page in the IP!