Menu

Transplanting peonies ?

They'd love you a lot if you waited until next winter when they are dormant...or at least next fall.

Peonies really hate being moved. Are you sure you need to? ;)

At the very least, I'd wait until they've bloomed. If you move them now be sure to water carefully all summer.

They won't like this year for sure if you move them now. I need to move one of my Itoh peonies but I spend $60 for the itty bitty thing 2 years ago and no way I'm risking it! I need to plant a line of trees so what I am going to do, is plant around it, and then after I move it fill it in with one more tree. You could always do something like that....just landscape around it.

Peonies are somewhat particular plants regarding how they are planted, but once established, they'll last forever.

To transplant, wait until early fall, then dig them carefully, keeping as much of the root system as possible. You will see little pink buds near the top of the roots. Those should be planted 1 to 1 1/2" below the soil line. (Yes, that is very specific - I did say they are particular about planting!) :001_smile:

Dig a very large hole, 12-18" in diameter and 12-18" deep. Fill it with lots of good soil, peat, dead leaves, etc. They will be there for years and years, so give them good soil to get them off to a good start. Mound the soil in the center of the hole so that the buds are exactly the correct depth in the hole (probably a bit higher, since settling of soil will lower the plant). Then fill in the rest of the hold with soil and water well.

Peonies are a favorite of mine. I actually transplanted several of my grandmother's plants the fall after she died (she lived over two hours away). Then, when we moved from the house in which we lived when I transplanted those plants, I was able to transplant them again. They're thriving today! :)