Menu

Singapore Sequence beyone 5th grade...

I am trying to figure out how Singapore compares to other curricula for planning purposes regarding my 9 year old. What level(s) of Singapore is equivalent to pre-algebra?

My oldest did Singapore 4A and then moved into Saxon 7/6 and then Algebra 1/2 mixed with AOPS. So I am having a hard time imagining that ds9 will have to wait for NEM to get pre-algebra.

Thanks!

Brownie

That depends on what you'll use for Algebra. Singapore 6 doesn't contain typical prealgebra material like exponents, radicals, factorization, and negative numbers, although depending on what you choose for algebra, this may not matter. My older went directly from Singapore 6B to Jacobs' Algebra, where those topics were quickly covered. Some kids may need more practice.

My younger has finished Singapore 6B and will move to Discovering Mathematics (a Singapore secondary math series), which also contains the above topics. We've covered most of prealgebra using the Algebra Survival Guide, so this will serve as review (and likely largely skipped over).

Pre-algebra is spread out between 6A/B Stds. ed. and the first book in the Discovering Math or New Elementary Math series. DM1/NEM1 is not just pre-algebra, however, because it gets into the easier concepts of algebra 1 and H.S. geometry.

I believe that the AOPS folks say that a student who has completed Singapore 5A/B can go into the AOPS pre-algebra book successfully.