Menu

Favorite authors for Middle Ages and Renaissance - for me to read?

I have never read biographies and historical fiction from this time period and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not looking for great books, just fun and quality authors...

Ideas so far:

Josephine Tey

Alison Weir?

More please!

I have never read biographies and historical fiction from this time period and I'm looking forward to it. I'm not looking for great books, just fun and quality authors...

Ideas so far:

Josephine Tey

Alison Weir?

More please!

I've only read one Alison Weir, and it might not have been her best, or it may have suffered from reading it very sporadically.

I have enjoyed Sharon Kaye Penman, who I think does a fantastic job of making people from the past feel human and also getting a whole lot of history into what is a fictionalized framework. When Christ and His Angels Slept and Here Be Dragons are pretty much stand alone books. The trilogy that involves Wales, Kings John and Edward and Simon de Monfort is also very good and puts the Magna Carta into context. (I enjoyed her mystery series less. They don't have the historical gravitas of her longer novels.)

Great Tales from English History is another one we've enjoyed. These have chapters that are the biography of one person or one event (for major people) and were really interesting. There are also some well done audio versions. Each chapter takes 20-30 minutes. DS #1 and I used to listen to these driving to and from swimming to lighten some of his reading load. (NB: There are three volumes plus an omnibus version covering different eras.)