Menu

Lively Latin 2 for 4th grade? (or something different?)

Ds (3rd grade) is close to finishing LL1. Would LL2 be too much for 4th grade? He is doing fairly well in LL1; we read/discuss the lesson together, he completes the lesson independently, and we check his work/make corrections.

After reading several reviews about LL2, I am concerned that book 2 might be too much. I'm not opposed to taking a semester to review book 1. Several LL1 users changed curriculum completely instead of going into book2. I hope we can stay with LL to maintain continuity, but...

...if we should need to change, what would you all suggest for a 4th grader completing BB1?

Thanks!

I forged on with my 4th grader (she's now in 7th) to LL Bk.2 when it was time. She got stuck around lesson 16 and took the rest of the semester off. It really turned her off to Latin for awhile, where previously she loved it. For my next dc, I waited to start book 1 until 4th grade, will spend the summer reading Minimus and several of the Bolchazy readers, then will start Book 2 in 5th grade.

Hopefully, the extra year will prevent the crash her older sister had.

Thank you, Sophia. If LL2 is a struggle for this age, the idea of some sort of review or change in 4th and a return to LL2 in 5th would be good.

I've been reading the post on the logic board about what to use for 5th grade after LL1. I would guess Latin Prep, Latin Alive, First Form and the like would also be just out of reach for 4th grade. I don't know much about these. It seems that delaying Latin for upper elementary might be a better age to start Latin so that the student can transition more easily into intermediate/more advanced study.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :bigear:

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. :bigear:

Yes, please, input from others so I don't feel guilty for killing SWH's thread :tongue_smilie:.

You know, with my 7th grader, we tried First Form in 5th, and she really disliked it. I liked it, but whatever.

We didn't do Latin in 6th, then she joined Classical Conversations and used LNST books 3 and 4. The books were ridiculously easy for her which built up her confidence and rekindled a like if not love for Latin. She'll move on to Henle in the fall with CC.

I never would have chosen LNST for her on my own, but it worked for getting her back on track, so...fwiw.