Menu

Info about CSAs?

They do vary some. In general, you buy a "share" in the harvest for a season. So if 500 people buy a share, they plant for that many and you get a box of produce each week divided among you all. If the plants do poorly or are wiped out, you get less. If it is a great season, you get more. You often pay upfront, but not always. The farmer has the money to plant, and shares the harvest with all investors. You get great local produce and support local agriculture.

We did it here, but it varied from the above model as the farmer also sold to stores. We got a produce box each week, paid quarterly. We didn't get to pick the contents at all, but some CSAs allow more customized things.

Yup what WeeBeaks said.

Our CSA sets up like a farmer's market. Sometimes we get tons, other times it's one of some items, like one stalk of brussel sprouts--doesn't feed very many.

OTOH, it is a "value added" CSA, so I can also get eggs, meat, bread, and specialty items like honey and jams and such through them.

Love it!

Pretty much what WeeBeaks said.

Last year, we had so much rain in the spring and early summer, that our weekly boxes started two weeks after the normal start date, and they were pretty pathetic for about a month. The weather really affected the growing season. Our CSA farmer tried to make up for it during the rest of the summer by throwing in as much extra produce as she could.

We could custom order, too. She used a system where she entered what would be available online by a certain time on the night before the pickup, and you could enter how much or how little you wanted of each item. I actually helped out by going to the farm on my pickup day, and helping load the boxes, then bringing them to my house for others to pick up. Ds1 hates animals/bugs/being outside, but ds2 had a blast going with me and playing with the farmer's daughter and chasing the chickens and ducks around. A lot of CSA's will have an open house where you can go and check out the farm.

I joined a different CSA this year because my old one decided not to do it anymore. This one is a collaborative of 10 family farms and they've been doing it for a long while. They have meats, bread, jam, honey, eggs and baked goods available as well as produce.

Here's a comparison between the first week and the eighth week.

Yeah, I know it's a little weird to take pictures of one's vegetables, but I love them so much! :D

Every week our oldest daughter takes a picture of her CSA box and posts it on Facebook. It's been a great way to get new ideas on how to prepare the contents! And it's so pretty! I loved seeing your pics.