Menu

Conceptual Physics lab???

If we use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics text what edition should I stay away from or conversely which edition is best (I'd rather not pay for this current edition, abeBooks has some great prices on 8th and 9th editions)??

Secondly, what, if any labs should I be prepared to do and are they included in the text or should I use another text – like: we have TOPS Machines and JVC’s Physics for Every Kid and I was kicking around purchasing Physics with TOYS, but didn’t want to throw good money after bad and purchase 10 things when one really good book would have done it.

I have been searching on the forums, but I haven't turned up anything yet, maybe I don't search so well....

Thanks! :bigear:

If we use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics text what edition should I stay away from or conversely which edition is best (I'd rather not pay for this current edition, abeBooks has some great prices on 8th and 9th editions)??

Hi Katherine! Are you looking for the college edition, or the high school edition?

We used the high school version, which, as far as I can see has NO edition on it: it has a copyright date of 2002, the student text has an ISBN 0-13-054254-7, and the teacher text has an ISBN 0-13-054256-3. I paid about $80ppd used (in excellent condition!) from another homeschooler, and it included:

- student textbook

- teacher edition of the textbook (answers, teaching resources, etc.)

- lab manual (labs matched to the textbook chapters -- but most require expensive classroom equipment)

- problem-solving workbook (matched to the textbook chapters; math-based problems, similar to those at the end of each chapter)

- plus the seller threw in 2 extra books with physics experiments

You could probably get away with just the student and teacher textbooks, and just do the problem-solving problems in the end-of-chapter reviews. I do not know how these materials compare to the college version of Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.

Secondly, what, if any labs should I be prepared to do and are they included in the text or should I use another text...

In this past thread: Conceptual Physics labs: I'm stumped and need help are loads of great ideas for labs. Some are directly linked to the textbook and website. My post in that thread listed which TOPS units and Homescience Tools kits fit nicely with which chapters of the textbook.

Hope that is of help! Best of luck in deciding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- I am seeing this c. 2002 high school version for sale, used, on Amazon for

student text = as little as $5+shipping

problem-solving workbook = at little as $3+shipping

Lab Manual = under $2+shipping

alas, the cheapest teacher edition that matches is $40+shipping at amazon -- however there appears to be a version available on WTM for sale board for $25

Ah-ha! On Amazon, this c. 2002 edition is listed in the fine print as "third edition" -- that is NO WHERE on the textbooks themselves... ;)