Menu

Teaching 2+ children when one has tics

This coming fall will be my first year of hs'ing both of my dc. My ds has been home this year and it has gone really well. He has near constant simple motor tics (silent) and occasionally he has vocal tics too (ETA: Not words, sounds. Teeth clacking, throat clearing, etc.) When he has them, they happen very often but only last a few weeks and then go away for a while again. So far, my dd (who is in 1st grade at ps) has never mentioned her brother's tics, even when they are sitting on the sofa together and ds clears his throat several hundred times during a movie.

I have to admit, I'm nervous about bringing dd home for 2nd this fall. I would NEVER have been able to do math while sitting next to someone with vocal tics. What am I going to do if dd can't focus because of ds's tics? She really wants to be hs'd next year and I want to hs her too, but will it work?

Does anyone else have a child with tics or some other type of distracting behavior that can't be helped and another dc that does okay right alongside him/her? If the other dc doesn't do well, what do you do about it?

Edited by Element