Menu

What do you think of the upper level BJU grammar & writing?

You can go down in level with BJU, that would be better than to struggle. Years ago, I did compare their 8th and 9th grade workbooks, and they weren't that different. But when I started dd w/BJU for grammar (in 7th grade) we got the English 6 to start, that seemed to fit her level better.

With ds (he is older) I was more relaxed w/grammar, so for 8th grade we used Easy Grammar Plus (the red book). He then went into A Beka 10th grade with no problem. A Beka's 9th and 10th grade workbooks looked a lot alike. A Beka is comparable to BJU.

I would also spring for a year w/Dr. Siebert, I think she does the dvds in 10th - 12th grades for grammar/composition.

Do you mind me asking what they did prior to BJU? I'm concerned about whether my dd will have the background for it.

The dvd teacher does help to get them writing. Ds did BJU and A Beka assignments only (and I skipped some), he went on to become an English major! I did step up dd's composition (since we have a resident English major to advise us). But she did BJU's assignments, with us skipping some, and adding writing about literature she is reading. I would say you can do BJU's assignments through 10th or even 11th grade, with a "step up" in 12th grade moving into more literary analysis. Windows to the World has helped us with that. So has using Scott Foresman for literature.