Menu

Literature Guides vs. Reading Workbook

amyrjoy

Okay, I am soooo torn.

I don't want to have TOO much on our plate.

The past two years, I've included BJU reading with my DD's schoolwork. I see it as beneficial, as it includes some skills we wouldn't have covered elsewhere. However, as I approach next year's plan, I am not sure if I should add it in. Or try to do part of it/pick and choose, this being for BOTH of my children. I am using Path of Settlement for next year, but I am so eclectic and tweak things, that I add stuff anyways. One thing we are for sure doing next year are Memoria Press literature guides. My son will be in 2nd grade, my daughter in 4th. I am not sure, with them working on the guides (and a few from Veritas Press) if I should try to add in BJU reading/worksheets too. I like them (the BJU reading programs) mainly because they cover phonics we wouldn't normally, and some other misc. activities I think are interesting.

It's just getting so expensive, kwim? I don't mind taking the time and going through which worksheets/reading excerpts would be best for them, but really....am I giving them too much?

From what I can see in the MP literature guides, a lot of what I'd consider "reading" as a subject itself would be covered.

By third grade, I think that most issues of phonics, etc. will either present itself in lack of comprehension, or vocabulary words in the text. If your dd can't narrate the story back to you in some sort of manner, you can narrow it down to whatever the particular reason: vocabulary, phonics/reading, or comprehension. You can focus on any areas you need, pulling the BJU if it addresses the issue.

IMHO, reading quality books is going to improve all of the areas that reading workbooks address, but more intuitively, naturally. Grammar, the same. Kind of cementing what she has learned from the workbooks. If your budget is super tight, cut them out. If dc really enjoy them, it's worth it.

It's hard to budget time and money, when it's all so good. I've realized though that 2 "goods" don't make a "great". And even 5 "goods" don't make a "great". So I make a list of what is "great" and then another list of the "good".

I try to purchase and complete the "greats" and just sigh over never getting to the "good", but don't worry or sleep over it.

For ME reading comprehension strategies are so much more important than literature appreciation. I consider reading comprehension strategies an English SKILL. I consider literature appreciation an ART. ARTS are approached differently than skills. To me they are about healing and creativity. So the resources I pick to study the ART of literature appreciation are pretty cheap, multiage and fun. I very seldom buy a literature guide, and when I do, that book becomes an event, not part of a workbook to be checked off a list.

Not sure if any of this helps :-0 But for me the "great" is intensive mastering of reading comp STRATEGIES, and MAYBE just ONE literature guide, and lots of Bible reading. And then yes, literature as read alouds and free reading, but like drawing a picture or making a craft, not STUDIED.