Menu

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at biblioplan for next year. I would like to make it secular. Do you think it would be easy to leave out the religious things? Would it still "flow" and have enough books to fill the year? I mean would we have to skip weeks because all the books listed are religious?

Thanks for your help, Kim

Edited by kimocha

I've used Biblioplan years 2 and 3, and have purchased year 4 for next year. The answer to your question depends on which year you are using.

Year 1: Ancients program integrates a significant amount of Biblical history, so you probably would be skipping a lot of things. (I haven't used this yet, but I have looked over it)

Year 2: Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation covers some church history. I think you might wish to skip books, but probably not whole weeks worth of material.

Years 3 and 4, which are American and World History, would require you to do the least amount of tweaking if you wanted a secular program. There are books here and there which you might choose not to use, but I haven't found as many as in Year 2.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Laura

I'm using the 2011 (current) edition of Year 1, and I can't imagine trying to separate out the relgious from the secular parts. You'd be left with SOTW and Usborne readings, and maybe 2/3 to half of the books. The other half are heavy on religion, and not in an educational exposure sort of way. For ex., Adam and His Kin and Discover for Yourself Bible studies by Kay Arther are scheduled. There is still Aesop, Greek myths, Homer, and most other "regulars". Reading from the Bible or The Victor Journey Through the Bible is scheduled, along with alternate readings from MOH are scheduled too, though. I use it because I like it this way, but I truly can't imagine the huge chore of picking it apart for secular use.

Curiously, what is it about BP that has you considering this? Maybe if you give us the reasons you're drawn to it, we could suggest something easier for you to use that would still accomplish your goals.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Thank you ladies for your replies. I like biblioplan because I would be able to keep all my children (K through 7th) together. I like that it is literature based but also has a "Textbook" for giving the facts clearly. The timeline, questions, and simple activity are also a nice follow up. I have used SOTW and activity book which worked nicely for a few years but we are doing year 4 next year and its to advanced for my K and 2nd grade and to easy for my 7th grader. We tried History Odyssey this year. My 6th grader does not like the main text used and would much rather read more "stories".

So, that's why I am looking at biblioplan. Basically I like the way history is presented minus the religion.

I recommend you contact them and just ask your question(s), straightforward. When I had many questions last year, Rusty from their customer service replied within just a day or two and was always extremely helpful. I don't think your question would offend them.

As for the BP "textbook" - are you referring to the schedule or the BP Companion? The BP Companion is completely and thoroughly Christian; no getting around that. Individual components of BP aren't expensive, so even if you just bought the schedule to see which non-religious books they have scheduled with certain sections of other books & encyclopedias, you could tweak it all you want without feeling like it's a waste. Also, when you buy it, you can request a copy of the old KF reading assignments to get those page numbers. Or, look for it used. I wonder if there's a yahoo group for using BP secularly... it's worth checking.