Menu

Can someone tell me about Math on the Level?

I saw this at a homeschool convention here in VA a few weeks ago and I LOVED the idea of it. I haven't actually used it so have no experience. I did talk with the authors (husband/wife) for about a half-hour and thought they really understand math and homeschooling and that the product was perfect for homeschoolers. It was very pricey for my stage of the game, but if I had several children and I were just starting out I would definitely consider investing. The authors were very friendly - I suggest emailing them and asking all your questions.

It is a relaxed way to teach math through 8th grade. The kids have "class" with you and instead of a worksheet full of problems they have 5 a day. Have you looked at the samples on the site? There is a yahoo group of users as well. It is all non consumable and lasts through pre-algebra. It is teacher intensive as you can not hand the math book to the child, but you can group kids and teach in "classes". From the sample lessons I have done it usually takes 20 minutes for our activity/class time. Then another few for their 5 a day. It is very helpful to help you see where to apply math to everyday situations.

I'd like to hear about this, too. I've read the posts on this program but still don't understand how it works. It's the implementation that worries me. I'm a little concerned that the program offers too much freedom for the parent (in my case of course). I need structure and will be a total basket case if I'm not given enough guidance - esp. in a subject like math. I'm going to continue to read about it on the website but would love to hear from those who have actually used it.