Menu

starting a "pre-k" program simultaneously with sn and nt siblings?

Is this just a nutty idea? I have a 4 year old son, diagnosed with PDD-NOS. He has gross and fine motor delays, and a speech delay (mostly just with pragmatics now), but he has a great visual memory. His younger sister is 3, neurotypical, really advanced when it comes to language and, well, everything else EXCEPT visual memory.

We lucked out in getting a really great autism preschool placement through the public school system. But since he will be turning 5 in October, now they want to move my son into kindergarten. I REALLY don't see the point of rushing him through the California kindergarten curriculum before his language and fine motor skills have more time to develop.

In his current preschool, they use the TEACCH method, visual scheduling, do lots of hands on activities for math, literacy, and art, and have a very music, rhythm, and rhyme based "curriculum." It works great for my son, and I want to set up something like it at home to do with him and his sister.

I was thinking a workbox system, along these lines, for both of them, with a mix of fine motor tablework, academic (three Rs only), and art activities. This would be mornings only, to free up afternoons for speech/OT appointments, field trips, playdates. Has anyone set up something similar? Am I going to scar him for life by having him work at his little sister's level? Right now he is more or less oblivious to things like age or grade...

Finally, what would be a good reading program for a kid who has learned phonics and can sight read some words, but has no interest in sounding out words?

I school all 5 of my children together 2-12 and just have different expectations based on their abilities. I do have 2 SN kids and they do everything with everyone else. It works great for us. My 12 yo balked a little at first until she realized she is required to do more work than the rest and now she is ok with it. Since we have always done it this way nobody even notices anymore. It makes is so much easier on me too b/c doing 5 different programs would kill me.

As for reading....I See Sam sounds like it might work for your son. www.iseesam.com There are websites where it is free for you to check out, you just have to Google it to find them.

My oldest has absolutely no problem learning right along with the youngers. I give him more difficult materials as needed but he's not concerned if I ask him to sit in on a 1/2 grade grammar lesson.

Now, my two that are close in age sometimes get upset with each other. They don't care what grade level I'm teaching, they are just competitive and don't like it when the other sibling gets the answer first. I am not going to split my lessons just because they can't take turns though. :glare: