Menu

Using Sonlight at different ages

malleyfam

I have 3 children I am currently homeschooling, ages 11, 10 and 8. I'm planning to use Sonlight Core D as the base of our curriculum for next year but I'm thinking I'll need to add the 2nd grade readers for my 8-year old. Has anyone had experience using the Language Arts program?

I have 3 children I am currently homeschooling, ages 11, 10 and 8. I'm planning to use Sonlight Core D as the base of our curriculum for next year but I'm thinking I'll need to add the 2nd grade readers for my 8-year old. Has anyone had experience using the Language Arts program?

If your 8 year old isn't ready to do the core D readers, I would suggest using a lower core for that child OR read the readers out loud to that child. The readers are tied to the history, and they offer information that isn't found elsewhere in the core.

I'm using core D now (just started), but I'm not using the LA. Sonlight's writing expectations don't seem developmentally appropriate compared to the reading levels they're paired with. I use separate LA. There was a thread going on this weekend that talks about why people don't like the LA.

The LA is new/revised this year, so I'm not sure what it is like now. I do agree with boscopup that the previous LA has had VERY ambitious writing requirements that weren't appropriate for my children at the suggested levels, so I haven't used it with my children.