Menu

X-post: What Latin for 5th grader after LL1?

x-posted from the Logic Stage board:

I have looked through (numerous!) other threads on this topic, but can't find anything that addresses our specific situation:

DD9 will finish Lively Latin 1 soon, and I'm looking for what Latin program to use in 5th grade to follow LL1. She is an enthusiastic Latin and LA student, mildly accelerated, and with a strong desire to learn to speak and read Latin. I'm studying Latin along with her (for the first time).

Lively Latin 2 would be an ok answer but it's not a no-brainer: I would love input from anyone who has finished LL1. What did you use next? Why?

More data on our scenario, if that helps:

-DD has enjoyed LL1 very much. She loves the history. I like the derivations/word power section, although now that we use MCT that is covered in our English program

-My major criticism of LL1 is that there is too much of a disconnect between introducing chants and explaining what they are for - it has been tough for dd to link the memorized chants to the grammatical constructions. She has succeeded, but I think it was needlessly confusing, I would prefer an introduction of the grammatical construction along with an explanation of its use.

-I would like to have her start reading/translating more, I think she has a solid rudimentary understanding of the grammar and would like to add reading/translating, more than is found in LL1. I don't know how LL2 is for this. I know I could accomplish this by adding something - a reading immersion based program? Which one? Or just reading some fun books? Like what?

-The goal is to be prepared, at some point between 7-9th grades, to start a solid high school latin curiculum (henle? or wheelock? I haven't researched this deeply yet . . .)

-We've used classical pronunciation so far, and I prefer a mainly secular program, although I am fine with readings/translations of the bible. I guess the point is we are heading more toward a goal of being able to read Cicero, not Thomas Aquinas, and we aren't looking for "Church Latin" specifically.

Ok, that is all I can think of that might be relevant - thanks in advance for your advice!

-Rose