Menu

Cross post: Winston Grammar/CLE LA

mom26

I am currently using CLE grammar for my 3rd and two 4th graders...it is okay but I am thinking of switching to Winston Grammar as much of the LA curriculum I do not use (I have a separate handwriting curriculum, we use IEW so we do not do the writing component)

My 6th grader is currently using Step-by step grammar program and while I liked it at first, the sentence diagramming is becoming very complicated and cumbersome.

I am trying to figure out if Winston Grammar would be sufficient for all 4 of my younger kids(next yr they will be in grades, 4,5,7)...I know they would still need practice with editing stuff (punctuation,abbreviations etc)

Anyone using Winston grammar? Do you supplement for punctuation etc. I'd love some feedback...

Thanks!

This year, we've been using Winston Grammar + Evan-Moor's Daily Paragraph Editing. I feel that the DPE has covered capitalization and punctuation very well through hands-on daily practice. We've done Winston in fits and starts - when we hit a brick wall, we take a break. Then we pick it up for 3 more weeks and hit another brick wall. We're absolutely STUCK on Week 13 (the week after Adverbs were introduced). We're having major problems understanding things like this sentence below:

Won't you go home after the holidays?

Home, here, is supposed to be an adverb. I would've called it a noun (it's a place). But no, it's an adverb, because it tells "where". Here is where I am scratching my head...what is the difference between where and place? I figure if *I* can't understand it and explain it, then I'm either dumb and incapable of learning, or the book isn't doing a sufficient job of explaining. At this point, my options are: 1.) pull in this old gr 4/5 Easy Grammar teacher book I bought used, and use this with Winston, or 2.) shelve Grammar for the year and try again next year (we only have 6 weeks left of our school year and Grammar is not high on my list for summer practice: we'll have enough summer school covering math, writing, reading, and science).

I love the idea of Winston, and hope to keep using it. There are some things that I understood better from Winston than BJU. It just goes to show that *I* need about 5 different curric for every subject before I can understand it well enough to teach it to my kids. :lol:

This year, we've been using Winston Grammar + Evan-Moor's Daily Paragraph Editing. I feel that the DPE has covered capitalization and punctuation very well through hands-on daily practice. We've done Winston in fits and starts - when we hit a brick wall, we take a break. Then we pick it up for 3 more weeks and hit another brick wall. We're absolutely STUCK on Week 13 (the week after Adverbs were introduced). We're having major problems understanding things like this sentence below:

Won't you go home after the holidays?

Home, here, is supposed to be an adverb. I would've called it a noun (it's a place). But no, it's an adverb, because it tells "where". Here is where I am scratching my head...what is the difference between where and place? I figure if *I* can't understand it and explain it, then I'm either dumb and incapable of learning, or the book isn't doing a sufficient job of explaining. At this point, my options are: 1.) pull in this old gr 4/5 Easy Grammar teacher book I bought used, and use this with Winston, or 2.) shelve Grammar for the year and try again next year (we only have 6 weeks left of our school year and Grammar is not high on my list for summer practice: we'll have enough summer school covering math, writing, reading, and science).

I love the idea of Winston, and hope to keep using it. There are some things that I understood better from Winston than BJU. It just goes to show that *I* need about 5 different curric for every subject before I can understand it well enough to teach it to my kids. :lol:

I can see why you'd be confused and why it is hard to explain...I guess no program is perfect:tongue_smilie: shucks!!!