Menu

Question about Winston grammar/language arts

I am currently using CLE grammar for my 3rd and two 4th graders...it is okay but I am thinking of switching to Winston Grammar as much of the LA curriculum I do not use (I have a separate handwriting curriculum, we use IEW so we do not do the writing component)

My 6th grader is currently using Step-by step grammar program and while I liked it at first, the sentence diagramming is becoming very complicated and cumbersome.

I am trying to figure out if Winston Grammar would be sufficient for all 4 of my younger kids(next yr they will be in grades, 4,5,7)...I know they would still need practice with editing stuff (punctuation,abbreviations etc)

Anyone using Winston grammar? Do you supplement for punctuation etc. I'd love some feedback...

Thanks!

I love WG. I've got no complaints about it at all. Not one. It takes what can be a rather dry subject and turns it into a bit of a fun game. The program does not teach diagraming (as I understand it) but it does teach you to identify the function (part of speech) of every word in a sentence.

It doesn't cover punctuation or abbreviation, but we covered those in grades 1-4 and had them down before we began WG (in 5th grade).

I have not done formal grammar with a 4th grader but the program would absolutely be sufficient for your older students, for sure.

I honestly cannot compare it to Shurley, AAG, GWG, or any other grammar program as I have not tried them nor even looked at them. I was lucky in that WG was the first grammar program I chose and we loved it!

I love WG. I've got no complaints about it at all. Not one. It takes what can be a rather dry subject and turns it into a bit of a fun game. The program does not teach diagraming (as I understand it) but it does teach you to identify the function (part of speech) of every word in a sentence.

It doesn't cover punctuation or abbreviation, but we covered those in grades 1-4 and had them down before we began WG (in 5th grade).

I have not done formal grammar with a 4th grader but the program would absolutely be sufficient for your older students, for sure.

I honestly cannot compare it to Shurley, AAG, GWG, or any other grammar program as I have not tried them nor even looked at them. I was lucky in that WG was the first grammar program I chose and we loved it!

Thanks so much for your response...my kids have done punctuation and those kind of rules etc but they have definitely not mastered it yet...any recommendations for supplemental work in this? Maybe I need to revisit dailygrams again?? Would love more feedback...If I buy WG it will save$ as lightunits for 3 kiddos can add up...it will also save time as I need to individually review CLE LA with the 3 youngest...I so want to make this work, can you tell;)

Thanks so much for your response...my kids have done punctuation and those kind of rules etc but they have definitely not mastered it yet...any recommendations for supplemental work in this? Maybe I need to revisit dailygrams again?? Would love more feedback...If I buy WG it will save$ as lightunits for 3 kiddos can add up...it will also save time as I need to individually review CLE LA with the 3 youngest...I so want to make this work, can you tell;)

Eh. I hope that someone with CLE experience can offer you more input. I've never used CLE. Have you posted this on the curriculum board as well? Dailygrams might be a good idea.

Eh. I hope that someone with CLE experience can offer you more input. I've never used CLE. Have you posted this on the curriculum board as well? Dailygrams might be a good idea.

I did post over there but have not received more detailed input yet...thanks for taking the time to respond;)