Menu

Word Retrieval

My dd often says the opposite word of what she means, usually the opposite preposition. She'll say "before" when she means "after." She'll say "out" when she means "in." Lots of times, the prepositions are said as part of common phrases like "going up" or "breaking up" or ... okay I can't think of any more. I think is a "word retrieval" issue, but I'm not sure how to work on it, other than verbally correcting her each time. Any tips?

Also, she'll say weird phrases like "He was throwing threats at us" when she means "He was making threats at us." I verbally correct these also. Any tips? Any better words to google besides word retrieval? Any thoughts on Abeka's Oral Language Exercises?

She's 11 and a highly visual learner, if that's helpful. Auditory memory is not super. Like I can't give her several verbal directions to follow and expect her to remember them all.

We've had similar problems with both my boys. In our case, I do think it's a word retrieval problem. Either they can't find the right word, or they accidentally get the wrong one. I just had a speech eval on my 12-year-old, and the therapist said to do 5-10 min. a day of naming objects in categories. For example, name as many vegetables as possible. Then make it harder by naming those that are green. Or those that are root veggies, etc. She claimed that if you do that for daily for 2 weeks, you'll start to notice a difference. I plan to try -- if you do, please report back as to if you noticed a difference.

Hope this helps!

Carolyn

You also might be interested in doing some further reading about word retrieval and language processing. I recommend:

• The Mislabeled Child, particularly the chapter, "The Communication Gap." This one is often found in public libraries. The Eides list about a dozen strategies to help with retrieval issues.
  • Auditory Processes by Pamela Gillet. This one was recommended to me by our SLP (our miracle worker). It's an older text, so many of the diagnostic terms are no longer used, but the chapter that addresses retrieval/response issues is "Auditory-Vocal Associations," and it lists 60 remedial exercises to help with this issue.
  • The next two are somewhat less useful in terms of specific strategies, but they will give you some background information about language processing problems and they give some ideas to help with word retrieval specifically.
  • Language Processing Problems: A Guide for Parents and Teachers by Cindy Gaulin
  • Childhood Speech, Language and Listening Problems: What Every Parent Should Know by Patricia McAleer Hamaguchi

Thank you for this list! Word retrieval is one of the issues my daughter needs to work on.