Menu

Nook color with android

Can someone explain this combo and how it works. I am considering a purchase from someone who has an android feature on a nook color. The reason this appeals to me are all the free educational games I see available through android. I am not very techy. How would I download them and if her nook had the android would it interfere with getting books from barns and nobles. If I get this nook used how will I connect it with a B&N account? Thanks for your help.

It sounds like she has a Nook Color that has been rooted to run as an Android tablet or she bought a Nook to Android SD card that allows it to boot as a Nook Color or an Android tablet. That's what I did.

I love that by using the Nook Color as an Android tablet, not only do I have access to all of the educational apps in the Android Market, but I have the reading apps for Barnes & Noble, Kindle, Kobo, and Google Books. You would just log into your account for B&N to purchase books. Same for any of the other booksellers, like Amazon or Kobo.

Oh great, I found someone who actually did this. Can I ask you more question?. I heard that it won't work well to do this, to have android on a Nook. Have you found problems with running it like this? How would I go about downloading books unto it if someone else bought it, like it's not linked in any way to my account? are you saying I could get books for Kindle and Nook with it? I am so clueless, how does this work? Could I easily remove it if I didn't like it?

Oh great, I found someone who actually did this. Can I ask you more question?. I heard that it won't work well to do this, to have android on a Nook. Have you found problems with running it like this? How would I go about downloading books unto it if someone else bought it, like it's not linked in any way to my account? are you saying I could get books for Kindle and Nook with it? I am so clueless, how does this work? Could I easily remove it if I didn't like it?

Mine works perfectly. I haven't had any problems. I watch Netflix on it, too.

Android is the the platform it's running on. It doesn't have anything to do with downloading books. You log into your Amazon, B&N, or Kobo account using each companies app, which you'll download from the Android Market.

If it is rooted, I don't know how easy it is to get it "back" to just being a Nook Color. If a SD card was used it is easy to go back to just a Nook Color. You have a choice to boot from the SD card when you shut down and re-start. You can also simply remove the SD card if you always want it to boot as a Nook Color....but then you wouldn't have access to the Kindle, Kobo, or Google Books apps. You'd only have access to B&N and the apps they have available.

Hope that helps. I can try to answer other questions, if you have them.

She says it has the Android operating system. it is unlocked on Android. Can you tell me what that means? Also she says it can hold a lot of books on the memory card. Is that normal to have a memory card that holds books in it. Does that memory card always come with it?. How did you put Android on yours or make it run with Android or however you say that?

She says it has the Android operating system. it is unlocked on Android. Can you tell me what that means? Also she says it can hold a lot of books on the memory card. Is that normal to have a memory card that holds books in it. Does that memory card always come with it?. How did you put Android on yours or make it run with Android or however you say that?

When a Nook is rooted, it's using the Android operating system. I'm assuming she's using the term "unlocked" as rooted. In order to root it to the Android OS, you need to use an SD card, which is a memory card. At least 16GB cards are recommended for rooting. That also gives you extra storage for books, which is why she said it can hold a lot of books.

I bought a 16GB N2A card from Amazon to root mine. Maybe this will help you understand how it works:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392968,00.asp

Now that I have it could you help iron out some glitches. We don't have any other tablets around so android is new to me. Once I got it connected to my Amazon account. I downloaded the Kindle app. Then I downloaded 4 books which she started reading and now, no matter how we try we can not find how to get into it! :001_huh:

I have pressed everything I can think of and cannot find it. The home page has icons to get into different apps, like phone, contacts (which is empty) but no kindle icon anywhere! HELP!

I am not sure if this will help you, can you find the "settings?" On mine there is something that also says "manage applications." I would try clicking there to see if the kindle app shows there. If not, then I would try getting the kindle app again.

Another thing I thought of -- press and hold in the middle of the home page and a list will come up that says "Add to Home screen." Then click on Launcher actions -- click on open/close app drawer and an icon with 4 squares will show on your home screen. Click on that icon to see all the apps on your nook.

Edited by Suzq

• 2 months later...