Menu

Teaching Creative (fiction) Writing?

I've been teaching writing classes for a number of years at various levels, including a high school co-op. Normally I teach basic essay writing (style and structure) and literary analysis writing. This past week, however, a few of my students said they would love to do a Creative Writing class next year, as in fiction writing (we've already done poetry). Now even though I have an MA in Creative Writing, believe it or not, I'm really not sure how to *teach* this to a class of high shool students. I'm aware of and just reeived a sample of the One Year Adventure Novel, but I think this might be too ambitous as a starting point, and in any case would not fit into our once per week/ 12 week semesters. I'd like to focus on the elements of the short story from the perpsective of writers, not literary analysts, doing asorted exercises and having the students produce at least one polished story by the end of the semester. Would anyone have any suggestions for materials appropriate for this age group and the limited time span we would have?

How to Write a Story - Lee Roddy - sold by IEW

Writing in Narrative (WIN) Book III - blue cover only

This is basic and teaches a five-paragraph story, but it is good for beginners.

Teaching the Story: Fiction writing in Grades 4-8 - Carol Baldwin

Edited by 1Togo

I have looked for a high school story writing guide for several years. Roddy's book is high school level. Adults have used it. The WIN III book is good for showing the basic flow of a story, and the material could be adapted for older ages by expanding the story sections into multiple paragraph. The other has individual exercises on character, dialogue, etc. Please post if you find something better.

I have not yet used this, but I plan to in 10th or 11th grade. It is the Young Writers Program of the National Novel Writing Month event: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/ywp. It looks like the actual "event" takes place during November, but you can download free student workbooks for high school, as well as lesson plans.

Here's the workbook description:

"We created these workbooks to spark your imagination and guide you in your noveling journey. The activities inside will help you create characters, build settings, and hatch plots, and keep you motivated throughout the month."

Here's the lesson plan description:

"Inside each grade-level track, you will find Common Core-aligned lesson plans, worksheets, and activities to help guide your students through their noveling journey this November."

So, if you can't do your co-op class during November, perhaps you can use this at your own pace and on your own schedule, just adapting their materials to your needs?

I am teaching a high school creative writing class this year. The first semester we focused on a quick overview of poetry/tropes, 2nd semester we are focusing on "story" using Lee Roddy's book as a starting point.

The kids wrote and memorized poetry sem 1 and 2nd semester they are writing 2 short stories of 10-20+ pages each. I am giving them hand -outs and each class day focuses on various aspects of "story" (scene, character, etc) in regards to the stories they are writing. First semester I provided writing prompts for 10 min each class period, 2nd semester the writing we do in class is based on the stories they are creating.

They also have to do several story analysis sheets (poem, short story, novel) and evaluate each others writing based on the parts of story- beg/middle/end), read and report (3-5 pg analysis) on 2 books on "how to write", read and report (3-5 pg analysis) on their fav authors.

I've compiled resources on my pinterest boards, and through searches, my own reading. My goal was to create a 1 credit class that gave the kids enough tools/resources to keep them going forward on their own, as well as a sense of accomplishment in knowing the parts of a story/how to create one from start to finish.

lmk if you are interested in a copy of the syllabus.

Edited by laughing lioness

I am teaching a high school creative writing class this year. The first semester we focused on a quick overview of poetry/tropes, 2nd semester we are focusing on "story" using Lee Roddy's book as a starting point.

The kids wrote and memorized poetry sem 1 and 2nd semester they are writing 2 short stories of 10-20+ pages each. I am giving them hand -outs and each class day focuses on various aspects of "story" (scene, character, etc) in regards to the stories they are writing. First semester I provided writing prompts for 10 min each class period, 2nd semester the writing we do in class is based on the stories they are creating.

They also have to do several story analysis sheets (poem, short story, novel) and evaluate each others writing based on the parts of story- beg/middle/end), read and report (3-5 pg analysis) on 2 books on "how to write", read and report (3-5 pg analysis) on their fav authors.

I've compiled resources on my pinterest boards, and through searches, my own reading. My goal was to create a 1 credit class that gave the kids enough tools/resources to keep them going forward on their own, as well as a sense of accomplishment in knowing the parts of a story/how to create one from start to finish.

lmk if you are interested in a copy of the syllabus.

Yes, thank you, I'd be very interested to see your syllabus as well as handouts, etc. Just telling the students to "write a story" doesn't seem very helpful to me.I gather that the Roddy book just provides information about story writing but not actual "exercises" and that's what I'm looking for so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel. :)

I would look again at the nanowrimo books. Most of the content is on elements like protagonist, antagonist, setting, plot and vivid writing. There are a number of good exercises. The plot outline can be adjusted to reflect the shorter scope of a short story by thinking of stages instead of chapters or by thinking of the short story as 1-3 chapters.

Little Blue School has a nice 8 lesson syllabus for story writing that uses some of the same elements.

The book What If has the best collection of exercises that I've found. Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine is another good writing book.

Yes, thank you, I'd be very interested to see your syllabus as well as handouts, etc. Just telling the students to "write a story" doesn't seem very helpful to me.I gather that the Roddy book just provides information about story writing but not actual "exercises" and that's what I'm looking for so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel. :)

The Roddy book has great info but it's formatted wierd. I've basically used it as a jumping off point. I did ask the kids at the beginning of the year what their goals were. They had all started stories, but not finished them. They also wanted more help with lit analysis. What I do like about the Roddy book is that it lays out the beginnning, the middle and the end and all of their "Parts." The kids are now able to talk about how they know the beginning or middle of the story is ending, because they know the markers.