Menu

Saxon/Hake Grammar a Hit!

Haiku

For those struggling with what to do after FLL4, now that ALL will not be out, I just wanted to share that dd 4th is really loving Saxon/Hake 5. I wasn't planning to have her do the journal prompts, as I hated journaling when I was a kid, but she was very excited about it and has created her own "Grammar Journal" (which she neatly labeled as such). She likes the studied dictation better than the WTM-style of dictation, and the lessons and exercises hold her interest. I let her write directly in the book, because if she had to recopy everything it would take 2-3 times as long.

I'm planning to use WWS, at least for a while, for writing, but as the Saxon writing lessons are scheduled in with the grammar, I plan to use those, too, and I think that, for a strong writer, the Saxon writing lessons would be a sufficient base if you also use writing across the curriculum, WTM-style.

Tara

Tara,

Thanks for the update. We're close to completing FLL4 and, like many, have been considering options. Saxon math works for us so we took a look at Hake at the hs show in Greenville and apparently found the lone remaining copy of Hake 5. We bought it but I've been wondering whether level 5 was the correct starting point - FLL seems fairly strong.

Glad to see the switch is working for you and the level is appropriate. Keep us upddated.

Jim

Tara,

I'm considering this for next year. Can you tell me how the different books work together. It's my understanding that there is a student "text" and workbook. From the online samples I can't tell the difference between the two. Also, how long does a typical lesson take for your student? What do you think of the vocabulary component?

TIA!

We bought it but I've been wondering whether level 5 was the correct starting point - FLL seems fairly strong.

The beginning lessons of level 5 are easier than the ending lessons of FLL4. Because Hake starts at level 5, it does start kinda at the beginning, but it progresses quickly and dd will be reviewing things that FLL introduced as well as learning new material.

Tara,

Can you tell me how the different books work together. It's my understanding that there is a student "text" and workbook. From the online samples I can't tell the difference between the two. Also, how long does a typical lesson take for your student? What do you think of the vocabulary component?

There is a supposedly non-consumable text, but as I mentioned I allow dd to write in it. This is the main lesson book. The workbook is for the writing lessons. If you don't have the workbook, you don't have the writing lessons. It's also for the More Practice (only a few of the lessons have more practice) and the Corny Chronicles. There is also a TM with all the answers and the tests.

A typical lesson takes my dd about 25 minutes, including the dictation or journal writing. The vocabulary is fine. There are just a few words each lesson. I have never done vocab with the kids; we have just talked about words as they have come up in our reading. Therefore, I have no basis for comparison. I would not necessarily call it a complete vocab program, but as each lesson seems to have vocab words, I think it's adequate.

Tara