Menu

Simplex as a spelling curriculum

eloquacious

So.... Rather than wait for an AAS app or SWR app or the like, I'm thinking of just using Simplex as our spelling for my son's K4 year next year. He is way ahead in reading but not as far as writing. We made our own phonogram tiles/magnets, and I might design a series of read/stamp/write pages similar to those on the Mama Jenn blog for SWR. Has anyone done this?

Sooo... apparently no one has done this before. To me, it seems like combining Simplex Spelling (high frequency words) and Simplex Phonics 1 (in lists of patterned words based on increasing levels of phonetic difficulty) is like getting the best of both AAS and Spalding/SWR. Buy a cheap used copy of the Spalding manual WRTR, (my 4th edition, which actually prefer to the 5th, was $5) for information on the method and letter formation, then print out and make your own phonogram tiles via Mama Jenn's blog.

I will be creating read/spell/write (for use with the phonogram tiles) pages as well as read/stamp/write pages to accompany the Simplex word lists. I have contacted the authors to see if they'd be okay with me distributing them for free, but as the only "proprietary" information it would have would be their word lists, which they publish on their own web site, I don't foresee it being a huge problem.

Anywho, it's just a thought if someone is looking for an inexpensive SWR/AAS/Spalding blend.

I already own both apps, but I should note that they are currently on sale for $1.99 until April 2. See here:

http://www.pyxwise.com/

Hmm, my favorite is Simplex Phonics 1, BUT it doesn't have ENOUGH of the easier words to stretch it out for such a young one :). It moves along pretty quickly in difficulty. Although it is one year of lessons, that year goes from K all the way through 3rd in terms of word/phonetic difficulty IMO. You might find you run out of words that are appropriate for your child fairly quickly.

SCGS - Simplex Spelling HD is the sight-word based app that includes high frequency words (but they are taught phonetically), Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 includes phonetically grouped words that are taught phonetically. It's my favorite, but they are both awesome :).

Hmm, my favorite is Simplex Phonics 1, BUT it doesn't have ENOUGH of the easier words to stretch it out for such a young one :). It moves along pretty quickly in difficulty. Although it is one year of lessons, that year goes from K all the way through 3rd in terms of word/phonetic difficulty IMO. You might find you run out of words that are appropriate for your child fairly quickly.

SCGS - Simplex Spelling HD is the sight-word based app that includes high frequency words (but they are taught phonetically), Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 includes phonetically grouped words that are taught phonetically. It's my favorite, but they are both awesome :).

Thank-you so much. I went ahead and bought both. :)