Menu

when should they be able to do the mult...

required in long division without writing it out to the side? I haven't actually taught my kids this yet because it hasn't come up in any curriculum that I've seen but it seems like it should be time!

e.g. 2820 / 47 = ? When you think the first number in the quotient is a 5, at what point should they be able to figure out the product of 47 and 5 is 236 without doing multiplication off to the side of the page?

Brownie

You mean 235.;)

It depends on the dc in our home. One does it mentally by multiplying 40x5 and then 7x5; she's 12. The other one, who is 14, wasn't taught mental math when she was in ps so she uses a calculator. Dd9 will probably always do it with mental math because she has been taught mental math from the beginning and finds it faster.

I personally don't mind them using a calculator for these types of side computations. I know that they know how to come up with the answers without the calculator. It is a tool to be utilized for convenience and speed...not a crutch.

I am guessing you are looking for an age younger than 40? I wouldn't try that in my head for fear of making an error. Of course, I can't go shopping without a list either.

I actually require my son to write out as much as possible because he is prone to small errors in computation and by writing it out he can #1 check his mental math and #2 backtrack to find his mistake.

I still do it on the side of the page - it helps me to backtrack if I make errors and demostrate to my student what I did wrong. (I also shop with a list and still forget stuff on it. ) I don't think there's anything wrong with writing it out. I worked for years to get my dd to show her work and refuse to discourage that now. I fondly remember showing lots of work in college math and physics classes with the hope of getting partial credit for problems that I missed.

OK maybe it doesn't get taught? It's something I do...and I don't actually mean I do it in my head. It's like I'm doing the multiplication out "sideways" using the number from the quotient and divisor as it's already written. I might write a carried number over the divisor as I'm doing it to keep track. hmmmm....Brownie