Menu

Senior Schedule...which?

I'm planning for my ds who will be in 12th grade next year. My dilemma is whether to give him an academic-focused year or pare down the academics and allow him to focus more on his music. Music is his passion and he plans to double major in music composition/theory AND something that will actually pay his bills. :001_smile: For composition majors, in most cases, the application packet will require a portfolio of music. He has a few short compositions and 1 longer, 2-movement piece. He is also taking composition classes at Levine School of Music. DS has completed all credits required for our state except a 2nd foreign language and government. As of the end of this year, he will have 5 English credits, 3 math credits, 3 science credits, 1 foreign language credit, 3.5 social studies/history credits, and 9.5 academic elective credits (one of which could be switched to English). Most of his classes have been outsourced using online resources, co-op, and community college. As of now, I have ds's orchestra, community band, Music Theory I & II (with ear-training lab), and music composition classes listed on his activities sheet. I really would like ds to have some time to work on his composition portfolio with increased focus and that is the only reason I'm considering going light on academics next year.

Tell me what you think of these schedule options and why you would choose one over the other. I'm also open to suggestions. Ds will be my first graduate.

Option 1: Academic-lite

French 2 @ TPS

French 2 Conversations @ TPS

Advanced Composition @ TPS

Government @ community college OR AP Govt with PA Homeschoolers

AP Music Theory @ Levine School of Music (with AP exam)

Music Composition @ Levine School o M (listed in activities on transcript

SAT retake, ACT, working of college application packets, orchestra)

Option 2: Heavier academics

French 2 @ TPS

French 2 Conversations @ TPS

Advanced Comp @ TPS or some other composition course somewhere else

Physics w/Derek Owens or at community college

Government at community college or AP Govt. w/PA Homeschoolers

College Algebra @ community college

Music Composition @ Levine

Music Theory III & IV @ community colllege of AP theory @ Levine

(SAT retake, ACT, college application packets, orchestra)

How about College Alg & Trig w/o Physics? Being solid in College Alg and Trig will give him greater success in Phys the following year. Not taking College/Trig limits his possibilities in sciences the following year.

:iagree: with this option #3 - academic medium. :)

Another thought, unless his ACT/SAT scores were really high, I'd suggest he retake them to try for a higher score.

Edited by Teachin'Mine
my reading comprehension improved lol

Suggestion: Another thought, unless his ACT/SAT scores were really high, I'd suggest he retake them to try for a higher score.

Response: I have SAT retake planned. He scored in the mid 1800s, but I know that he can do better.

Suggestion: Yes, college prep students are more academic senior year, but the math imho is really necessary for life skills. He is going to need to understand linear and exponential relationships etc etc. in his life, and his college will most likely give him a math placement test - he isn't likely to be successful if he hasn't mastered college algebra/trig and has had a year off from math.

Response: I was concerned about him not taking math for a year. Heck, I do not even let dc go the summer without doing math. DS did take a college math placement test and tested into Elementary Calculus. I'm not sure if the test was easy (community college) or if ds is better at math than I give him credit for. So I figured, I'd have him start at College Alg/Trig just to make sure.

Thank you for your responses. They have been very helpful.

Val

I thought about doing that, but being that he is college-bound, I really wanted the "shine" of an AP and/or college course on his transcript.

I'm not sure how much it will affect how admissions looks at his transcript as it is for his senior year, but others who have btdt would be able to give you better advice on this. I think there's lots of benefits to having a cc course while in high school as it's a good learning experience in prep for the 4 year. That might take up less of his time as it would be done in a semester rather than all year. He could still prep for and take the AP exam after that if he wants that to be used for credit at his college. He'll know by then where he'll probably be going and can decide whether it's necessary or not.

Since he'll need to work on his portfolio for college admissions, he'll need to concentrate on his music, so I think that trying to lighten the academics somewhat isn't a bad idea - especially for the first half of the year. Maybe his cc courses could be done in the spring after he's done with college applications.

Edited by Teachin'Mine